IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Looking for a good player application on Android
r0k
post Feb 5 2013, 17:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93574

OK, i know this might be very subjective, i also know this was asked before, but apps change as time goes by.
I'm looking for a good music player to put on an Android device (Samsung YP-GS1, it's not a smartphone but a "micro tablet"). I don't care free or commercial, i never understood why people can spend hundreds bucks to buy an Andro´d device but can't spare 5 to support developpers dry.gif

I have a few requirements :
  • ReplayGain support (there are still many players out there without ReplayGain)
  • Ogg vorbis support
  • Support Playlist and "Library" selection
  • No automatic DSP to "enhance" your music that you can't even turn off
And a couple more "features" i'd like to see (in order) :

1. Gapeless playback
  2. Ability to read custom tags and use them for library browser
  3. Low memory/battery footprint (well, as low as technically possible)
  4. Automatic play/pause when connecting/disconnecting jack
  5. Support A2DP (send audio signal over Bluetooth)
  6. Widget to control playback
I don't care "nice" UI but i like functional UI and good features, on the PC my player is foobar2000.

I already tested a number of players but didn't found the "perfect" one yet. Probably there are little known players out there that would deserve more attention. That's why i posted this thread. smile.gif

OK : here are some players i found interesting and why i didn't settle for them so far :

• PowerAMP : probably the best i tested. Don't like the UI that much (why simulate round buttons for volume) but other than that, it looks like a very good player. I've read people are having issues with Bluetooth and i didn't got it working so far either.
  • Neutron Player : claims to be an "audiophile" player and i tend to be careful with those claims. My screen is too small for the UI (very small text as a result) and it keeps the Screen on while playing (battery drain) so i'll probably stay away from this one.
  • RockBox : Good old rockbox i loved on my Sansa has an Android port. That's great but it's still quite a beta.
  • DeadBeef : Good player but too much "playlist" driven for me. I miss some Library.
And that's it. I tested others but forgot their names as they were really not worth mentioning. Last one i wiped out of my Droid was DoubleTwist or something like this. Too much Apple-like for me, including painfull "features" that prevent you from accessing your SD card directly because it's designed to work with it's "desktop companion"!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 04:17