IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What software to use for .opus encoding?
-Aze-
post Feb 2 2013, 01:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106112

Hi Guys.

I have read about the opus format, but can't find much info about what software to use for it?! I'm considering re-ripping my CD-collection and I would like to give .opus a shot.

What software are you guys using for the CD-to-opus ripping?
Normally I use ExactAudioCopy, but it seems that there's no option for using the opus encoder in this?!

Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
polemon
post Mar 5 2013, 05:49
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 68578

I do understand re-ripping to some extend, in fact I do it myself, but not CDs.
Vinyl records however, I re-rip from time to time. Simply because the errors when re-ripping sound differently, which is one of the whole niceties, of vinyl records. (for a non-aficionado it might be difficult to understand, I know)

Ripping from CDs is a different thing, though: If you're too lazy to rip a CD to a lossy file whenever you need one (usually you'd do this just once), you can rip it to a lossless format of your choice -- I suggest FLAC -- and then you'd just convert it into a lossy format whenever you need it, and how often you need it. Personally, I think that a CD is already a good lossless storage (duh...), so whenever I need the lossless source, I'd simply put the CD into the drive. I don't have a stereo equipment that would justify using nothing but lossless files (I use the internal sound chip of my main board and a pair of Sennheiser HD600), so a moderately good ripped lossy file works perfectly fine and transparent for me.

OK, about Opus encoding.
I don't think it makes sense just yet. I'd like to wait for the codec to see his first birthday, and then decide how well acceptance grew, if any horrible errors might have been unearthed and so on. I mean seriously, what's the rush anyway. As long as you have the lossless sources -- be it the CD or a lossless file -- you don't need re-rip in bulk anyway, just rip whenever you need it. Also, most portable players and media devices (that are space constrained) play a variety of formats, you don't need the whole library to be MP3 or MP4/AAC or Ogg/Vorbis or Ogg/Opus exclusively. I think it is perfectly fine to have your media files in more than one format or codec, as long as it is supported by the media players you use. I have some MP3s, I have some M4As and I have some Ogg/Vorbis files, I'd never bother to re-rip or transcode them from lossless sources, as long as those files work for me in a transparent manner.

Re-Ripping the whole library, just because a new codec pops up, is just a waste of time...

--------------------
-EOF-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:06