Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is there any application to synchronize backup with check of audio int
Porcus
post Feb 1 2013, 17:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38207

Setup: Working drive S: (“source”), backup drive T: (“target”), in Windows lingo. S:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac has been modified since last backup – I have been correcting the metadata.

Now the audio is the same on the backup – except if there is corruption, and obviously I do not want to overwrite my backup with corrupted audio even if I have changed metadata. So I want a piece of software which roughly does as follows:
(1) Notice that the file on S: is newer than the one on T:
(2) Check whether they have the same audio. (If not, skip – I will have a look at those later.)
(3) Only then, copy. Could even be done by merely transferring only metadata from S:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac to T:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac , not overwriting audio.
((4) Optionally: verify again that the audio matches.)

Ideally I would like to have a library function that keeps track of my files even if they are renamed (shouldn't be hard for a format which is audio-checksummed), but I would be surprised if that exists ... yet.

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
washu
post Feb 1 2013, 17:44
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5032

While it would probably be possible to make a script to do this for you, the far easier solution is to just do backups that don't overwrite previous versions. In fact, what you are doing now isn't a true backup, it's just a mirror. There are lots of programs that can do this for you automatically. Or even just using shadow copies to keep old versions would work, but it's less reliable.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 13:34