IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Can someone explain Bit reservoir for me?
djchristian
post Jan 29 2013, 17:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 76233

I try to struggle to understand what this does. I am relatively new on this area

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Bit_reservoir

What does it do really? Does FLAC have Bit reservoir too?

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ThomasG3rd
post Apr 29 2013, 03:03
Post #2

Group: Validating
Member No.: 107852

I've seen lots of post about using bit reservoir, and some say to use it, but does it actually degrade from the orginal source. I understand that MP3 is already lossy, and I am trying to get best quality that I can. I have posted a topic on this earlier and have got lots of help. I am messing around with Foobar but there isnt a bit reservoir option with V0 VBR. Question is use BR when using a VBR? Is there a difference if this is left off? I noticed it makes the VBR's lower on average depending on music. Metal seems to cut abr by about 15 where in jazz and rock seem to cut it by 20-even 30. Smaller doesnt always worse, espically since VBR's are supposed to be better then CBR's at a lower bitrate. So use it or not????
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Apr 29 2013, 03:23
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (ThomasG3rd @ Apr 28 2013, 22:03) *
I understand that MP3 is already lossy, and I am trying to get best quality that I can. I have posted a topic on this earlier and have got lots of help.

If thats your goal then none of this matters. The encoder will manage it for you. Pick the quality level you want and use that. Implementation details only matter to developers.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 09:01