IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Feeding an EQ to a Replaygain scanner, Feature request for the l33t coders out there
skamp
post Jan 26 2013, 20:20
Post #1

Group: Developer
Member No.: 13875

Like others, I have noticed that Replaygain sometimes "fails" on certain albums, i.e. I sometimes have to increase or decrease volume from one album to another.
Case remarked that some heavy EQing could invalidate Replaygain's analysis, which kinda makes sense to me.

I think it would be cool if one could feed a list of EQ parameters to a Replaygain scanner, and have it compute values that would better match such setups. Off the top of my head, the scanner could either store the altered values in the usual metadata fields (e.g. REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN), or (a little hackish) store the normal album gain in REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN and the altered album gain in REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN, so that one could switch between album gains with the EQ on and off.

Edit: obviously that would only make sense to people who always use the same EQ parameters, like me.

This post has been edited by skamp: Jan 26 2013, 20:23

--------------------
See my profile for measurements, tools and recommendations.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Jan 29 2013, 00:15
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

I've looked for something simpler that can adjust the bass, the mids and highs relatively to the track so tracks doesn't just have similar loudness but similar sounding (i don't know what's the correct word for that but i think you know what i mean).
Ozone Izotope has a "Matching EQ" option.

But, my guess is that using something like that blindly is just going to muck-up the sound. It might make a good starting-point for EQ adjustment by ear. Something like that might be helpful (as a starting-point) if you are recording half the songs for a CD in one studio and half in another, or if you are compliling "Greatest Hits" CD and you want the songs to sound more-alike.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 13:09