IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Yet another FLAC recovery problem thread
andoru
post Jan 25 2013, 03:33
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 7
Joined: 25-January 13
Member No.: 106166



Just as the other thread in this sub forum, I've had accidentally deleted a FLAC collection of mine and I went to recover it. Unlike the previous user most of my FLAC files turned out undamaged when recovering them but some were overwritten. Although I decided to recover the damaged files too, it went successfully and most of the FLAC files came intact. I played a few of them and I noticed one track that had a problem. When playing it in foobar (tried VLC also), at some random points it produces a unpleasant very loud screech (white-noise like). Now, as I had quite a few FLAC files in that collection, I would like to check them all for those errors, and preferably not through playback as that could be quite painful to the ears XD
I tried to run the -t parameter in the CLI flac encoder on the file, but it reports no errors. Any suggestions on what to use to detect those mishaps? (if it can do it in batch mode that's a plus! )

Software used:

Recording/Encoding - Audacity/libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
Playback - FooBar, VLC
Recovery - Recuva
File System - NTFS
OS - WinXP SP3 x86

If anyone needs a sample of the problematic file, I can upload it somewhere, it's not copyrighted.

Thanks in advance ^^



This post has been edited by andoru: Jan 25 2013, 03:35
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 
Start new topic
Replies
andoru
post Jan 25 2013, 19:46
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 7
Joined: 25-January 13
Member No.: 106166



QUOTE (ktf @ Jan 25 2013, 20:01) *
Yes, but what if it was corrupted between recording and encoding or during encoding? This plain text showed up in the decoded WAV not in the FLAC-file itself, so it has had to be overwritten while lingering as a WAV file, not while being a FLAC file. That would explain why the FLAC file itself is intact and the MD5sum is correct.


Ah, now I realize that the order of events was different than I previously thought. ARGH.
I didn't encode directly to FLAC in Audacity, I encoded to WAV instead (have no idea why). When I accidentally deleted the collection, there were still wav files remaining that weren't converted to FLAC, so when I did the recovery, they were still in WAV format, that explains the plain text section in the file. Sorry for the mix-up and for the eventual head-scratching XD
Also thank you for taking your time and looking into this weird issue!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 21:26