IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Yet another, "What speakers should I buy?" thread.., Lots of options, maybe you guys can help choose what's best for me
almostmitch
post Jan 23 2013, 15:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

I'm in the market for some new speakers, but I'm having a hard time deciding. My room is about 17' x 25' and I want the speakers to pack a punch and have plenty of bass. I was going to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers like these until I was told they may not be ideal unless they are at ear level and positioned correctly. I want the speakers to fill the room and sound good in various positions, and I'm not sure if different types of speakers/woofer arrangements would be better suited for this. I also saw a pair of studio monitors mentioned in another thread. I like the large woofers of the studio monitors, however, I just purchased this reciever to use with the speakers I have and for new ones but I know studio monitors are powered. So I'm wondering how, if at all, these monitors work with a receiver (not too familiar w/ these). I was also considering some floor standing speakers, but nothing specific. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, or clarification would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
almostmitch
post Jan 25 2013, 18:59
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

QUOTE (Arnold B. Krueger @ Jan 25 2013, 07:37) *
IME in-store demos of speakers are generally worthless because the retail environment rarely if ever comes close to duplicating the home environment. The SNR in sales environments is often negative.

This is something I thought about. I don't even have a hi-fi store near by to demo speakers but even if I did I would still rely heavily on the rep, reviews, and specs of the speakers. Thanks for the input.

QUOTE (RonaldDumsfeld @ Jan 25 2013, 11:04) *
I'll second what Arnie says on this occasion.

It's better to get something that is accepted as a standard and adjust your ears and, if possible, your room to fit.

I also have a fairly large room (21ft x 15ft x 11ft ceiling). I used to use a large pair of 9Ts vintage floorstanding TDL RTL 3s with a hefty Kenwood receiver. Then I got some desktop monitors and was, after some initial skepticism, a total convert. So I bought the matching sub, put the ADAMs on high stands and relegated the TDLs to the summer house.

At first I missed the 'smiley face' effect of the hi-fi grade speakers but it didn't take long to realise flatter was, if not flattering, more appropriate.

Sounds better with TV, radio, films and speech applications too.

I personally avoid Berhinger because I have had bad luck with their kit from a reliability and longevity perspective in the past.

The subs good because you can have it on when you want a big sound but can easily switch it out (via footswitch) late at night or as circumstances and neighbours dictate.

Can you tell me what specific set of desktop monitors you got and how well they perform in your larger sized room? Also, some specifics of the Berhinger's problems would be nice. They were among the ones I was considering. I'm very used to the smiley face EQ as I use it for all my music. Might I be disappointed in the flatter sound of monitors?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 17:33