IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Yet another, "What speakers should I buy?" thread.., Lots of options, maybe you guys can help choose what's best for me
almostmitch
post Jan 23 2013, 15:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

I'm in the market for some new speakers, but I'm having a hard time deciding. My room is about 17' x 25' and I want the speakers to pack a punch and have plenty of bass. I was going to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers like these until I was told they may not be ideal unless they are at ear level and positioned correctly. I want the speakers to fill the room and sound good in various positions, and I'm not sure if different types of speakers/woofer arrangements would be better suited for this. I also saw a pair of studio monitors mentioned in another thread. I like the large woofers of the studio monitors, however, I just purchased this reciever to use with the speakers I have and for new ones but I know studio monitors are powered. So I'm wondering how, if at all, these monitors work with a receiver (not too familiar w/ these). I was also considering some floor standing speakers, but nothing specific. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, or clarification would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Jan 23 2013, 20:33
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

I always recommend that people go to an audio/video store and LISTEN to some speakers before buying. Even if you end-up buying online, it's good to get an idea of what different speakers sound like and what kind of speakers you prefer.

I've never heard the Behringer Truths, but they have a reputation for being better than most other monitors in their price range.

My room is about 17' x 25' and I want the speakers to pack a punch and have plenty of bass.
I'd say you probably want at least 8-inch woofers. Bigger, if you want bass you can feel or if you want to "rattle the walls". (Speaker design isn't quite that simple and a bigger woofer doesn't always give you more bass, but there are limits to what you can get from a small speaker.) I've got a pair of 15-inch subwoofers in my living room, which is total overkill for my home-listening habits but perfect for my occasional DJ gigs.
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Jan 25 2013, 13:37
Post #3

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Jan 23 2013, 14:33) *
I always recommend that people go to an audio/video store and LISTEN to some speakers before buying. Even if you end-up buying online, it's good to get an idea of what different speakers sound like and what kind of speakers you prefer.

If wishes were fishes...

IME in-store demos of speakers are generally worthless because the retail environment rarely if ever comes close to duplicating the home environment. The SNR in sales environments is often negative.

I think that an in-store demo can spare you the purchase of something that is truly horrible, but once the alternatives have reasonable SQ, you're listening to the demo environment at least as much as you are listening to the speakers.

I had this impressed on me when I purchased a pair of NHT 2.5i speakers over a decade ago. The in-store demo was horrible. It was clear that the salesman's goal was for me to double down on a pair of 3.3s. When I took the speakers home and integrated them into my home system, they performed very well. Since then I've been purchasing speakers based on tech specs and the consolidated opinions of a large number of other listeners, but mostly the tech specs.

Today I may gratify the sales guy by letting him waste our time with a demo, but the purchase was certain when I walked into the store. I routinely buy speakers completely unheard over the web.

In the realm of home audio virtually every serious modern AVR has a built-in automated system tuning facility such as the 28 flavors of Aydyssey, MCACC (several flavors) or YPAO. These facilities tend to level the playing field as far as balance and timbre go. MCACC in its maximum strength claims to adjust the time-alignment of the speakers within their operating range, not just adjust their overall operation.

This all said, there is a stunning sameness to most mainstream speakers on the market today. You can bet on the presence of one or more 5.25 to 6.5 inch woofer/midranges and a dome tweeter in the 0.6 - 1.0" range. The woofers may vary quite a bit in terms of Xmax, but almost nobody will tell you what it is for their speaker. One exception and only one exception comes to mind. The crossovers vary all over the place, but its hard to beat a well-tuned electrical/acoustical Linkwitz-Riley and many people find tuning them easy enough.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:40