IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recovering FLAC's deleted from hard drive, deleted FLAC's and then recoverd turn out corrupted
eveafterdark
post Jan 20 2013, 19:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106033

Hello everyone
some time ago I had - amongst other stuff - a part of my flac collection (ca. 200 gb) accidentally deleted from my external hard drive (don't ask how, I "experimented" with some drivers for my VAIO bluetooth and suddenly on opening one, I just noticed files being deleted - just saw as folders disappear one by one in the hard drive window, only managed to plug out the disk to limit my losses).
anyway, I bought a software which I used to recover photos, mp3's, videos in different formats, lots of kinds of other files/formats and the problem is with the flac files.
first of all, the recovery software sees all the flac's (and other lossless) as "probably overwritten." this is strange because for instance some of the albums were copied to the disk just before the deletion, and generally, this was just a storage disk, not much copy/cut/paste/delete/save was going on there, except from putting the stuff there once and for good.
of course, I know that some of the files must be overwritten, I mean, properly overwritten but my point is, some of the files can't just be overwritten (in terms of how saving on hd works). besides, inside the same music folders where the flacs appear corrupted, there's bunch of other files, like art work for example which are not corrupted and were recoverd completeley.
now, I don't know how about the recovery software seeing the FLAC (and other lossless) files as "probably overwritten" I asked that question to the manufacturer, but haven't got the answer.

SO, my question to you guys is: are FLACS,APE's etc prone to getting corrupted when deleted and recovered? (maybe because of how they're built - MD5, CRC - these are just my guesses) and therefore the damage is permanent? anyone had similiar experience? or is there a way to repair lossless files?

Some details on what I tried:
- any action in foobar (like opening such flac, veryfying integrity) just gives me :(Unsupported format or corrupted file)
- in dbpoweramp try to convert it to wave or test coversion: Information converting to Wave, md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.
- in dbpoweramp try to convert it to flac: Error input channel count more than FLAC can handle. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
- audio tester - 1 file scanned, 1 file failed: (LOST_SYNC @ 0m 00s); the same with FLAC TESTER.
- FLAC FRONTEND: even with the errors option ticked it says: Run-time error '75 path/file access error

also I opened the flacs (but only e few of them, because this is where chinesse begins to me ;-) and simply lost hope ) with hex editor looking for the flac sequence numbers but I couldn't find one proper sequence

I'll be happy to know if I'm just wasting my time
thx in advance
eveafterdark
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
eveafterdark
post Jan 20 2013, 20:46
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 106033

thanks for your reply db1989
I'll definitely try some other recovery software before I give up completeley (though I don't think they can do much difference?), just waiting for the answer from the manufacturer of my software ( and I chose it despite it's paid because it had very good reviews from professional companies that deal with data recovery.
I think what you wrote about bigger files getting corrupted easier makes perfect sense since even small files like mp3s or photos get corrupted or their content gets mixed.
Also, the thing you added about encoded/compressed data being more easily corrupted is what I originally thought.
Between the saving and deletion I might have saved some small file (no other processes this was a storage disk used for playback) , for sure I saved the driver file that caused all the deletion... but as I looked into the recovered flacs it seems that each one of them is corrupted.
The other thing that keeps me wondering is that I had several of my blue-ray movies ripped, kept in matroska containers on that hd. these files were like 3-5 GB and had gotten deleted too, then recovered. And they're perfect, as much as I managed to check on them (I watched parts of each movie and they were ok)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 14:57