Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

96 AAC VBR that good? Or am I deaf?
Carsi
post Jan 18 2013, 16:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104779

Hi there.

This is my 2nd topic here at HA. My first post was about a Rammstein sample where i ABX'ed 20/20 at 128 AAC VBR. That's the only sample so far that I can ABX 20/20. I recently tried 96 AAC VBR, and it sounds surprisingly good. I can't ABX it :/ Apart from that particular Rammstein sample.

My question is this, I've finally re-ripped all my cd's to ALAC. If I convert them to 96 AAC VBR, would you say it would be transparent? I'm using Creative Aurvana Live headphones, not high end. I'm trying to fit as many songs as possible on my iphone 5 32GB.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
yourlord
post Jan 18 2013, 21:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 88621

If it's any help, I encode to Ogg Vorbis at quality 2 (~96kbps) for use on my space constrained portable devices. If you put me in a quiet room with quality gear and a lossless original I might find a few tracks I could ABX.. But even then any audible issues with Vorbis at that bit rate are typically innocuous enough to me that I won't notice them outside a critical listening test.

AAC tends to be roughly as good to slightly better than Vorbis at these bit rates. Not enough to make me compromise my freedom though.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 13:51