IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Why are there not nearly as many Techno vinyls?
mccarthyk
post Jan 17 2013, 17:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103639

Why do not as many electronic artist release their audio on vinyl as do rock artists?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
slks
post Jan 17 2013, 20:52
Post #2

Member No.: 29046

I'm not sure where you get this idea, I've noticed the opposite trend if anything. Vinyl-only singles and EPs are as common as dirt in electronic music. I could go down a list of releases, but for just one example Aphex Twin had an entire series of 11 LPs around 2005, which are vinyl-only barring a few selected tracks. I've heard that electronic/dance musicians still cut records for DJing purposes, although these days many DJs have moved on to more flexible digital systems.

I try to think of an equivalent example for rock music, and I'm unable to. In fact I can only remember 2 "rock" records from this century which are vinyl-only. Both of those were short EPs.

All of this evidence is 100% anecdotal so I'm not sure how useful it is. I suppose it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to. I've just never noticed or heard anyone speak of a trend for electronic artists to stop releasing vinyl, in fact I've heard and observed the exact opposite.

This post has been edited by slks: Jan 17 2013, 20:53

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
+Quote Post
mccarthyk
post Jan 17 2013, 22:49
Post #3

Member No.: 103639

QUOTE (slks @ Jan 17 2013, 11:52) *
I'm not sure where you get this idea, I've noticed the opposite trend if anything. Vinyl-only singles and EPs are as common as dirt in electronic music. I could go down a list of releases, but for just one example Aphex Twin had an entire series of 11 LPs around 2005, which are vinyl-only barring a few selected tracks. I've heard that electronic/dance musicians still cut records for DJing purposes, although these days many DJs have moved on to more flexible digital systems.

I try to think of an equivalent example for rock music, and I'm unable to. In fact I can only remember 2 "rock" records from this century which are vinyl-only. Both of those were short EPs.

All of this evidence is 100% anecdotal so I'm not sure how useful it is. I suppose it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to. I've just never noticed or heard anyone speak of a trend for electronic artists to stop releasing vinyl, in fact I've heard and observed the exact opposite.

Wow, that's really surprising. I guess it's just because I have a wider appreciation of rock, whereas there are only a few electronic bands I listen to. I've noticed that almost all of Infected Mushroom's vinyls go for about $300! Alot of the other techo I listen to such as Porter Robinson, Mt. Eden, Zedd and similar people don't have any vinyl music at all.

One of my favorite rock artists is Rise Against and I have 8 singles of their that are vinyl only. Maybe it's just the music I listen to happens to have this sort of trend...

+Quote Post
slks
post Jan 19 2013, 08:52
Post #4

Member No.: 29046

There's certainly a trend of releasing limited edition vinyl (usually singles) in small quantities as an instant collector's item. It seems like a way for bands to make releases more rare/special in the digital age where otherwise, everything is available everywhere. That's why certain records end up $300.

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
+Quote Post
Canar
post Dec 24 2013, 06:46
Post #5

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

QUOTE (slks @ Jan 17 2013, 12:52) *
it'll also depend on which sub-genres, labels, and particular artists you pay attention to
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:41