Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

64kbps mp3 encoding for streaming broadcast
pokerface246
post Jan 14 2013, 20:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105880

Hi,

I'm in the process of beta testing a stream for internet radio broadcast. We are looking to stream in mp3 as it's still the most universally accepted format for opening from a URL or hyperlink, at least until we develop our standalone app and flash player on the site.

That said, we were toying with 128kbps 44k lame and like how it sounds, but have concerns for mobile users and data usage. So we'd like to go with a 64kbps stream instead and lower the overhead for everyone. Right now, running the lame converter at 64kbps 44k joint stereo just doesn't sound good. Lots of high end artifacts as expected. Cutting the sampling frequency down to 22k helps but I'm losing a lot of high end.

I've listened to other services using this bit rate, and they sound a lot better. I listen to Radio.com quite a bit and their stations are encoded 64kbps AAC or MP3 by default. Even when switching the player to MP3 in settings, it sounds really clean. Honestly nothing like a 64kbps lame encoded stream that I'm used to.

I'd really like to get this quality out of my converter at that bit rate for mp3, but have no idea how they are doing it. Can anybody here make any suggestions on Lame settings that will really get me the most bang for the bit at 64kbps in stereo? I'm using Edcast (Oddcast) with the latest lame dll for encoding.

Ed

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
JJZolx
post Jan 15 2013, 02:24
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18345

Why not offer both 128 kbps (or higher) and 64 kbps and allow users to select their quality level?

Maybe those radio stations are using different encoders? I would think that most broadcasters are using commercially available hardware and software and that the software would have to be tuned to lower bitrate streaming. I've always had the impression from discussion here that LAME development is primarily concentrated on sound quality at much higher bitrates.

Are there radio stations that stream Mp3 using ABR encoding? I don't think I've encountered one, although to me it seems like a better choice than CBR.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 08:20