IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Using systems to speed up ripping multiple CD's, Parallel systems run quicker than series
Chimera1to1
post Jan 11 2013, 16:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103267

I thought I would start a new thread as I have discovered, what to anyone that knows maths and systems is probably blindingly obvious.

Firstly I downloaded dB poweramp to a single PC. 29

I then bought a USB DVD writer at low cost. 20

I already have a USB 3 1Tb drive and a 500gig hard drive.

dBPoweramp seems to allow you to run multiple copies simultaneously on the same PC, allocating a CD drive and a hard drive to each piece of open software.

By seperating the CD's out into two piles, clean CD's and scratchy CD's you can ensure that when you put a scratchy CD in drive A, drive B continues to work at full speed processing good CD's. The throughput of drive B is thus not effected by the slow scratchy ones. Also non-ripping activities such as unboxing and changing CD's occur whilst the other drive is still ripping.

So for 20 my throughput of rips is at least 4x faster.

I also chose to save as FLAC 0, because it is quick. Presumably if I wanted to I could batch convert seperately overnight?

Any other tips for increasing speed for multiple rips?

This post has been edited by Chimera1to1: Jan 11 2013, 16:49
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pdq
post Jan 11 2013, 17:20
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24233

I wouldn't worry about using FLAC 0. I use the default FLAC 5, and on my system the encoding, done in parallel with ripping, finishes seconds after the last track has finished ripping.

I don't understand why adding a second drive quadruples your speed?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 19:32