IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

how best to use F2K to convert FLAC to MP3?
g725s
post Jan 10 2013, 23:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82209

a couple of years ago I used EAC to rip my CD collection to FLAC. Now I'd like to convert it to MP3 so that I could upload it to my phone for playing (an Android phone using PowerAmp for playback).

I've installed the recent version of Foobar2000, version 1.2, on my Windows 7 PC. So what is the best way to do the conversion process? Of course I want to keep my original FLAC but just have an MP3 copy for MP3 players.

Also I've got my folder naming convention for the most part named the same way, but some are not. What would be the best way to organize my folders and albums. I'm thinking Artist/Artist - Album Name - (date)/01 - Song.mp3

And what tagging and picture art should be included? For album art, in the past I've just copied to the album folder a cover.jpg that I downloaded, usually about 300x300 from a wiki page.

Since I ripped everything with EAC it includes in the album folder the TEXT file and an M3U file. The CUE was left out of the folder and deposited into the main directory folder by itself, by EAC, if I remember correctly.

If I do this conversion I'd like my collection to be up-loadable and playable with correct tagging and cover art for any mp3 player in the future.

This post has been edited by g725s: Jan 11 2013, 00:08
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tuntematon
post Jan 11 2013, 02:12
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 105780

I use "Artist/Year - Album/Disc.Track - Song.ext" but the naming doesn't really matter as long as you have the correct metadata in the tags.

The Android media tracker is really buggy, at least on my Droid Incredible; I'm not sure if it's better on newer devices, or if PowerAmp even uses the system media tracker, but here are a couple things I've found that help keep things working smoothly:

1) Make sure every file has the Album Artist field filled in. For most albums this means just copying and pasting from the Artist field. If it's not filled in, the Android media tracker will randomly decide that some or all of the album's tracks are not part of an album at all.

2) Embed album art in the files themselves. I personally don't like doing this, and feel it's a waste of space, especially since all of my album art is at least 500x500, and most are around 1000x1000. Adding 1 MB to every MP3 file doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. Anyway, if you don't embed the album art, the Android media tracker *will* read folder.jpg files, *but* it will randomly decide that the folder.jpg file in Folder A now applies to the MP3 files in Folder A *and* in Folder Q, even though the two albums aren't even by the same artist or anywhere near each other in any possible sorting order (artist name, album title, date, etc.).

3) Install MP3Edit or another MP3 tag editor on your phone. When the metadata for an album (or part of an album) disappears, load the album folder in MP3Edit, add a random character in some field and delete it (so that the Save button becomes active) and save. This will force the media tracker to re-scan the metadata. You may be able to find an app that will just let you force the media tracker to refresh, but since sometimes the phone *actually* screws up the metadata, it's nice to be able to edit it on the go instead of having to plug into a PC and fix it.

As for format, I usually encode to MP3 V1 (~225 kbps VBR) which is pretty much compatible with everything.

This post has been edited by tuntematon: Jan 11 2013, 02:13
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:51