Reply to this topicStart new topic
[Audio] Noob setting up 5.1 on a gaming computer!, [moved from General Audio]
lillemakken
post Jan 9 2013, 02:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105724

Hello!

Over the last week I have gone from being a total caveman at audio to being less of a caveman at audio.
I have gained some knowledge, read forums up and down, googled here and there and I am left with a few questions.

But first I will tell you my purposes;

5.1 surround system with my gaming computer
- Gaming is first priority
- Blu-ray is second priority

While keeping in mind that only hdmi and multichannel analog can carry lossless PCM(Or PCB?) signals, here are my questions:

1. I have chosen to go with a sound card instead of a receiver. In that case I am forced to use 6 x RCA analog cables from the speakers to the sound card. True or false?

2. Most sound cards have three inputs, Green-(left,right) Black-(rear-left,rear-right) Orange-(Center,LFE(Sub)). I noticed these fit perfectly with "PC speakers". What if I wanted to connect 5.1 surround speakers that were originally meant for a home theater, on a TV?

3. Are there any sound cards that support 6 channel analog inputs to go with the 6 RCA cables?? If yes, please link me some good options. Price doesn't matter. Or are the 6 channels distributed over the three inputs?

4. If I were to go with a HDMI cable, I have to use a receiver instead. True or false?

5. I have seen video cards being mentioned in some forums about audio and sound cards, what's that all about? How does a GPU comes into play here? Provide a detailed description please!

Finally, here is a general question if you want to add a general detailed description instead...... How do I setup a 5.1 surround system to my computer that will take use of lossless audio? (wav samples at 1411kbit bitrate(4233kbit bitrate) or more)

Thanks in advance,

- lillemakken

P.S! ..... Everything is so far hypothetical. I have not yet bought anything. I am in the planning stage smile.gif

This post has been edited by lillemakken: Jan 9 2013, 02:46
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 22:46