IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bit-perfect AAC/MP3/etc decoding?, Is it an issue?
mavere
post Jan 5 2013, 00:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22401

Sorry if this is easily answered elsewhere.

My question is that in a comparison of lossy-format decoders between, let's say, iTunes and Foobar and Winamp, will the output (edit: of a single source file) vary between decoding implementations?

Or is it that once a decoder follows a specified format, all output is equal assuming there are no bugs?

This post has been edited by mavere: Jan 5 2013, 00:51
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
db1989
post Jan 6 2013, 00:14
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Heh, I’m glad it’s not just me. biggrin.gif

Although I welcome higher precision, I still take issue with descriptions like these:
Why does Apollo sound so good?

The sound quality has always been an important factor when making decisions in the decoder code. Recent addition of 32-bit and 24-bit output has resulted in further improvements in the quality. To prove this, I measured the difference of Apollo 37zm 24-bit output to the MPEG-1 audio layer 3 compliance test reference signal […] Of course, this only goes for the provided test signal, but it should give some picture about the sound quality.

Logic that extrapolates conclusions about sound quality from measurements is not in line with TOS #8 – especially when the reported differences lie beyond the 16th bit – so I’d advise readers not to take this seriously.

This post has been edited by db1989: Jan 6 2013, 00:14
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 20:15