IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What matters re: audible differences in sound quality?
sawdin
post Jan 3 2013, 17:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77876

Although Iím sure this information exists in various threads and on other sites, I havenít found a site/thread that is up-to-date and includes a good overview. Thus, can you either point me to some threads/sites and/or verify if the following information is accurate? Of course, if it is not accurate, please do correct and supply appropriate links. Thanks!

In regards to audible differences in sound quality:

What Matters:
Speakers and Headphones
Room Acoustics (if not using headphones)
Length and shielding of certain types of cables, and whether cables meet required specs for the given task (e.g., does USB cable meet USB specs).
For tube amps and/or pre-amps, different tubes will alter the sound.

What doesnít matter:
As long as relevant specs are met (e.g., USB cable meets relevant specs for USB 2.0 or 3.0; HDMI cables have appropriate features for specific usage, etc.), there is not any audible difference in SQ between inexpensive cables/speaker wires and 'audiophile' cables.

What Might Matter:
DACS (clock/jitter issues)

Hi-Rez recordings (have heard rumors, but have not been able to verify that the Boston Audio Societyís double-blind tests that resulted in the release of the well-known ďAudibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio PlaybackĒ paper were faulty because a high resolution master was not actually used. Also see: "24/192 Music Downloads...and why they make no sense"

USB cables should separate the signal ground from power ground and shield the signal and power connections from each other. For example: iFi Micro Gemini USB cable

Cable Length Questions:
I believe it is accepted that maximum cable run is relevant in regards to digital signals. Recommended lengths:
USB max length is 5 meters
Coax (S/PDIF) is 10 meters.
Cat5/6 ethernet is ~50 meters.

However, I am not sure about the following:
*Digital Audio Cables should be at least 1 or 1.5 meters b/c internal "reflections" can develop, which will increase jitter.
[Edit] FWIW, Just spoke with Blue Jeans Cable, and they said if you can 'hear' the jitter, you have bigger problems than cables; thus get what you need, whether 3 feet or 1.5 meters.

*Some claim that USB cables should also be at least 1.5 meters as well, while others claim they should be as short as possible.

TIA...don't want to waste money, though I might purchase Blue Jean Cables instead of Monoprice or C2G with the thought that although they may not sound any different, they are less likely to break, have loose connectors, etc.

This post has been edited by sawdin: Jan 3 2013, 17:46
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Canar
post Jan 3 2013, 17:54
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 2796

Is there a single case of "clocks/jitter" being audible? I was pretty certain the answer to that is "no".

--------------------
You cannot ABX the rustling of jimmies.
No mouse? No problem.
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Jan 4 2013, 18:03
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (Canar @ Jan 3 2013, 11:54) *
Is there a single case of "clocks/jitter" being audible? I was pretty certain the answer to that is "no".

Other than broken, misused or maladjusted equipment, lab experiments and demonstrations, I am unaware of any reliable listening tests that have been positive due to the presence of jitter in digital gear.

The jitter in analog recordings and playback and recording gear is generally many orders of magnitude greater than that in digital gear and often easy to detect.

This post has been edited by Arnold B. Krueger: Jan 4 2013, 18:04
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 13:09