IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Helix vs. Lame, Which one to choose at higher bitrates?
Gainless
post Dec 31 2012, 04:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94764

So I've seen that Helix was rated equal if not superior to Lame at the last mp3 listening test. I've done a few tests with Helix on my own at 192 kbps with the result that it does a lot better than Lame on many "killer" samples. However there are issues with the handling of high frequencies at bass heavy material, e.g. that quite audible content is removed when a kick appears (was also noticed in this thread), which seems to be little dependent on how high the choosen bitrate/quality is.
From that perspective alone I would prefer Helix, also regarding the encoding speed, but I don't know if this is the only "Achilles heel" of this encoder. Are there any other reasons than the performance at high frequencies to choose Lame qualitywise over Helix?

This post has been edited by Gainless: Dec 31 2012, 04:41
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Gainless
post Jan 1 2013, 03:49
Post #2

Member No.: 94764

You mean like fades between songs on an album? Forgot about that, why didn't get it fixed btw?
+Quote Post
BFG
post Jan 1 2013, 07:44
Post #3

Member No.: 101637

This thread makes me wonder if the LAME and Helix teams have considered joining forces. Why have two competing encoders when you can have one that is the best of both worlds?
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Jan 1 2013, 08:54
Post #4

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (BFG @ Jan 1 2013, 01:44) *
This thread makes me wonder if the LAME and Helix teams have considered joining forces. Why have two competing encoders when you can have one that is the best of both worlds?

Generally speaking, the challenges of merging two very different approaches to the same problem are often greater then just improving each individually.
+Quote Post
BFG
post Jan 2 2013, 01:19
Post #5

Member No.: 101637

QUOTE (saratoga @ Jan 1 2013, 01:54) *
Generally speaking, the challenges of merging two very different approaches to the same problem are often greater then just improving each individually.

That's probably true. Still, if Helix and LAME both use relatively similar principles - i.e. if they both use a psychoacoustic model - it might be possible to conjure up a program which encodes each frame under both models and then keeps the "most accurate" frame.

And yes, that may make no sense whatsoever given the technical details of how the two work.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 14:13