A few of the reasons for a dedicated Opus subforum:
- The vast majority of the posts in "Other Lossy Codecs" over the past year have been Opus-related.
- Across the forums, overall, Opus-related posts clearly outnumber those related to several other codecs which have their own dedicated forums (Vorbis, MPC, WavPack), and the post traffic is comparable to that for the most popular codecs (MP3, AAC, FLAC).
- Due to the RFC, the WebRTC MTI, the organizations backing it, etc it's clear Opus is not just a fad-of-the-day but is going to have some staying power.
- NullC &co have had to keep repeating instructions and caveats for prospective testers and for those making and distributing builds. Collecting these in a sticky thread in an Opus forum would make these much more visible, lessen the need to keep repeating material and keep correcting the same misconceptions, and thus alleviate frustrations.
- With a dedicated subforum, I think people would be more inclined to start new threads for new Opus-related discussions, which is more manageable than when tons of tangentially-related discussions are all packed into one >500 post thread.