IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

EAC FLAC Compression Error
heyo_speaker
post Dec 20 2012, 18:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46215

I am having issues trying to rip to FLAC using EAC.

In the Compression Options, I have "Use external program for compression" enabled, "User Defined Encoder" for the parameter passing scheme, and ".flac" for the file extension.

"Program, including path, used for compression":
C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe

"Additional command-line options":
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "COMMENT="CRC: %TRACKCRC%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Upon compression of the first track, the following error message was returned:

The external compressor returned an error!

Options : -8 -V -T "ARTIST=Bell Boys Music" -T "TITLE=11ish" -T "ALBUM=The Jean Hagen EP" -T "DATE=" -T "TRACKNUMBER=01" -T "TOTALTRACKS=5" -T "DISCNUMBER=1" -T "TOTALDISCS=1" -T "GENRE=" -T "ALBUMARTIST=" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=" -T "BAND=" -T "COMPOSER=" -T "COMMENT="CRC: B2EA68ED" "Btmp556)!.wav" -o "Btmp556)!.flac"

File : C:\Users\JoAnne\Music\CDs\Other CDs\The Jean Hagen EP\Bell Boys Music - The Jean Hagen EP - 01. 11ish.wav

....Can someone smarter than me please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate it!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
JJZolx
post Dec 22 2012, 09:30
Post #2

Member No.: 18345

I thought ALBUMARTIST was more universally accepted, and that ALBUM ARTIST was somewhat unique to foobar2000. I don't use foobar2000, so don't know if that's still true. Perhaps that's the reason why someone would use both fields with the same data.

Do you want to embed album art in your files? I find working with non-embedded covers to be easier. If you later want to change a cover image or replace it with one of better quality, all you do is toss a new file into the folder.

I don't think I've ever found or seen a use for TOTALTRACKS or TOTALDISCS. Doesn't hurt to have them, but it's just one more thing to worry about when you're proofreading metadata before doing a rip.

Why store CRCs in comments? Does that have some particular use?
+Quote Post
heyo_speaker
post Dec 22 2012, 16:07
Post #3

Member No.: 46215

Thanks, JJZolx. Maybe I should throw ALBUMARTIST back in, just to be safe.

I saw the CRC thing in someone's arguments somewhere and added it to mine. I figured it must just be there as evidence that the track was ripped accurately (if the CRC is correct), but I couldn't say for sure.

I guess I don't necessarily want album art embedded in each track. I was just now scanning and experimenting with some album art, and if I tag it to each track it will take up a lot of space. And, like you said, it might be a pain to swap it out later... Plus, I don't want to feel pressured to scan/crop/tweak the album art every time I want to rip a CD in EAC (though I'm sure there are other programs that I could use to easily embed the album art later).

So if I can just store one copy of the album art with the ripped tracks, that would be great. Will foobar2000 and other players automatically look for album art in the folder where the tracks are located? (I suppose I can just test it with foobar and see.)

I guess I will leave the album art tag in the arguments but NOT utilize it (as long as I can simply put the album art in the folder with the ripped tracks) and just leave the arguments there so that I have the option of embedding album art via EAC. I just won't import album art into EAC unless I specifically want it embedded for some reason.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 03:37