IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

EAC FLAC Compression Error
heyo_speaker
post Dec 20 2012, 18:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46215

I am having issues trying to rip to FLAC using EAC.

In the Compression Options, I have "Use external program for compression" enabled, "User Defined Encoder" for the parameter passing scheme, and ".flac" for the file extension.

"Program, including path, used for compression":
C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe

"Additional command-line options":
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "COMMENT="CRC: %TRACKCRC%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Upon compression of the first track, the following error message was returned:

The external compressor returned an error!

Options : -8 -V -T "ARTIST=Bell Boys Music" -T "TITLE=11ish" -T "ALBUM=The Jean Hagen EP" -T "DATE=" -T "TRACKNUMBER=01" -T "TOTALTRACKS=5" -T "DISCNUMBER=1" -T "TOTALDISCS=1" -T "GENRE=" -T "ALBUMARTIST=" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=" -T "BAND=" -T "COMPOSER=" -T "COMMENT="CRC: B2EA68ED" "Btmp556)!.wav" -o "Btmp556)!.flac"

File : C:\Users\JoAnne\Music\CDs\Other CDs\The Jean Hagen EP\Bell Boys Music - The Jean Hagen EP - 01. 11ish.wav

....Can someone smarter than me please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate it!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
heyo_speaker
post Dec 22 2012, 09:03
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46215

That does help, thank you.

I tested "-p -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 8" and "-8" on the same track and found "-p -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 8" to take approximately 5 times longer to encode, though still not an unreasonable amount of time. I don't buy music very frequently, so if I only did this for new albums it would be all right. However, I still have a collection of CDs to rip and it might be nice to have it go more quickly, and storage space is not really an issue. ....Really, I just want to give in to my vague discomfort about using specific commands that I don't fully understand (though your descriptions were very good!) and my desire to have a simpler command line that won't look too cryptic when I set up EAC in the future.

UPDATE: Before submitting this post, I re-ripped/compressed that same track to compare not just encoding time, but also the difference in output file size, and I actually found that -8 yielded a smaller file size than "-p -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 8". This is not what I was expecting to see. Maybe the results vary from track to track. This was a fairly short track (1 minute and 43 seconds). But this result makes me even more inclined to use -8. I would be interested in anyone else's test results.

Unless someone else comes up with a reason for specifying an ALBUMARTIST tag in addition to an ALBUM ARTIST tag, I hereby remove ALBUMARTIST from my FLAC arguments.

I just looked more closely at the tagging boxes near the top of EAC's main interface. I see "CD Composer" can be edited there, whereas "Composer" can be edited in the info for each track. I happen to have a CD in the drive right now that has 2 composers for the first track and just one for the rest, so if I were to pick whether I wanted the COMPOSER tag to be the track composer or album composer, I would go with track composer to be more specific/accurate. Though often on CDs there is only one composer, and it would be handy to be able to use the "CD Composer" box when you need to edit the metadata yourself and don't want to type/paste the same composer's name for each track. I just care more about preserving the specific data for each track.

From what I read, %albuminterpret% uses the data from the "CD Performer" box in EAC's main interface; however, the online database left the "CD Peformer" box blank for the CD I currently have in the drive, putting the performers' name in the "CD Artist" field instead. That and the fact that BFG has never had any tagging issues when using %albumartist% in conjunction with metadata databases makes me inclined to use %albumartist% instead of %albuminterpret%, as he suggested. So I will do that unless someone else can provide a reason not to.

I will just delete the BAND tag if there is no use for it. ALBUM ARTIST seems like more inclusive terminology anyway, since not every performer is in a "band".

I'll assume the odd quotation mark placement in the LYRICS tag was a typo on the part of the author of EAC unless someone can provide information to the contrary.

After reading the FLAC documentation, I think -o is for specifying an output filename (excluding extension) that is different from the input filename (excluding extension). But I can't think of any reason why this would be necessary since EAC ultimately names the output files according to my naming scheme (and I can't even find any way to specify %dest% directly in EAC, unless EAC just inserts the name defined by my naming scheme). So if "-o %dest%" is not necessary for the functioning of EAC, I might as well delete it.

So the only things I'm still wondering, for anyone who can answer, are:
-- Do any current players or other software make use of "BAND", "ALBUMARTIST" (no space), or "LYRICS" FLAC tags?
-- What exactly is the "UNSYNCED LYRICS" tag used for in foobar2000?

Here are my updated FLAC arguments:

-8 -V %source% -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "COMMENT=CRC: %trackcrc%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file="LYRICS=%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover%

Thanks for all the feedback, BFG!!

This post has been edited by heyo_speaker: Dec 22 2012, 09:28
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 10:23