IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

EAC FLAC Compression Error
heyo_speaker
post Dec 20 2012, 18:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46215

I am having issues trying to rip to FLAC using EAC.

In the Compression Options, I have "Use external program for compression" enabled, "User Defined Encoder" for the parameter passing scheme, and ".flac" for the file extension.

"Program, including path, used for compression":
C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe

"Additional command-line options":
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "COMMENT="CRC: %TRACKCRC%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Upon compression of the first track, the following error message was returned:

The external compressor returned an error!

Options : -8 -V -T "ARTIST=Bell Boys Music" -T "TITLE=11ish" -T "ALBUM=The Jean Hagen EP" -T "DATE=" -T "TRACKNUMBER=01" -T "TOTALTRACKS=5" -T "DISCNUMBER=1" -T "TOTALDISCS=1" -T "GENRE=" -T "ALBUMARTIST=" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=" -T "BAND=" -T "COMPOSER=" -T "COMMENT="CRC: B2EA68ED" "Btmp556)!.wav" -o "Btmp556)!.flac"

File : C:\Users\JoAnne\Music\CDs\Other CDs\The Jean Hagen EP\Bell Boys Music - The Jean Hagen EP - 01. 11ish.wav

....Can someone smarter than me please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate it!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BFG
post Dec 20 2012, 19:19
Post #2

Member No.: 101637

Yep, you have a few different issues with that commandline (which I'm guessing is coming from the wiki).
  • You should use "COMMENT=CRC: %TRACKCRC%" instead.
  • You don't need both ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST. It should use the %albumartist% tag instead.
  • COMPOSER tag should use %albumcomposer%, not %composer%.
  • The lyrics section should read %haslyrics%--tag-from-file="LYRICS=%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics%.
  • -o %dest% is unnecessary.

Or, you can try this commandline instead, which I know works with EAC as it's what I use:
%ishigh%-V -p -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 8%ishigh%%islow%-5%islow% --replay-gain -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ENSEMBLE=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "COMPOSER=%albumcomposer%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "SOURCEMEDIA=CD" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %hascover%-T "PICTURE=%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%
(This commandline gives you compression settings that are stronger than -8 but still fully compliant. It also gives you the -5 option if you switch to "Low Quality". You could remove the --replay-gain and probably a few others.)
+Quote Post
JJZolx
post Dec 20 2012, 20:40
Post #3

Member No.: 18345

QUOTE (BFG @ Dec 20 2012, 12:19) *
(This commandline gives you compression settings that are stronger than -8 but still fully compliant. It also gives you the -5 option if you switch to "Low Quality". You could remove the --replay-gain and probably a few others.)

Please don't give someone who may not know any better the impression that there's any difference in encoding _quality_ between -8 (or "stronger") and any other FLAC _compression_ level. The quality is the same. And you might point out that the difference in these convoluted "high" compression settings and the default level of -5 is usually less than 1 or 2% of additional compression.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 13:18