IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

u-law
Neuron
post Dec 16 2012, 01:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105171

How come u-law was not used with high sample rates in the old days of computing? A quick search here says u-law is not good for sampling above 16 khz because of high frequency distortion, but when I encoded a 320 kbps mp3 44.1 khz into an 8-bit u-law 44.1 khz format it actually sounded quite ok especially compared to 8-bit linear PCM and even 4-bit ADPCM. So how come it was not used in games and multimedia at good sample rates before mp3 came? I understand that it distorts the sound slightly however this distortion is much less hearable on my samples created with audacity than in the same sample encoded to either linear 8-bit PCM or 4-bit ADPCM. And that encoded music was a 1980s OMD track with high dynamic range, not a modern day overcopressed/clipped sample. I am kind of interested in old formats and computing, so that's why I'm asking. I would insert short sound samples, but I don't know how to add them on this forum.

EDIT - I uploaded some sample files here http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=98358 .

This post has been edited by Neuron: Dec 16 2012, 02:09
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 21:01