IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What kind of turntable should I get
AudioKing
post Dec 15 2012, 23:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105204

I currently own 1 vinyl and I would like to purchase a good turntable. My budget is anything less than $160. I would like a record player that doesn't require the use of external stereo speakers. Is it sort of necessary to use external speakers with turntables? Help Me!!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
derty2
post Apr 13 2013, 14:11
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 91257

You are buying into old-skool audiophile technology. Collecting and playing with vinyl records and vinyl hardware is fun for many reasons, not just technical.

To completely relegate Vinyl to the dustbin of history, the people who designed the Audio CD nearly got it right . . . but, they ignored some things which had nothing to do with technical superiority or convenience. Including "+5 Reading Glasses" with every CD sold is one (sarcastic) example. Thus vinyl will live on . . .

If I was the O.P. , I would completely forget about asking questions from people on the internet.

I would get on my bike and find out about all the real things going on in my city . . . people . . . businesses . . . communities . . . clubs . . . friendly audiophiles suffering from borderline autism . . . an obscure hi-fi repair guy with a shop crammed full of electronic junk and disassembled vinyl turntables in various states of repair . . . a semi-retired friendly old man who once worked as curator of the "National Sound Archives" but now runs a little shop selling second-hand records and vintage turntables . . . Go to Recycle/Oppportunity/Charity Shops all over town and snoop around until you eventually run into "wow, look at this turntable for $20" . . . Go to the next meeting of the "YOUR_CITY Audio Club"

Talk, Listen, Look, Learn, Snoop, Touch Stuff, Borrow Stuff . . . rinse and repeat until the penny in your head drops.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 03:33