IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What kind of turntable should I get
AudioKing
post Dec 15 2012, 23:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105204

I currently own 1 vinyl and I would like to purchase a good turntable. My budget is anything less than $160. I would like a record player that doesn't require the use of external stereo speakers. Is it sort of necessary to use external speakers with turntables? Help Me!!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kritip
post Dec 17 2012, 02:52
Post #2

Member No.: 1036

It personally seems crazy you own one vinyl recording and are setting out too buy a deck. If you inherited a massive archive then I may see a benefit.

It's like me being given a single wax cyliner, 8 track, MD or Reel to Reel, and going out to find a decent player for it, for what is esentially a dying format.

Just curious what you reasoning is behind it, that's all smile.gif Each to their own, and I loved the idea of vinyl when I used too be into it 15 years ago, but just starting out now....I don't get it :S
+Quote Post
dpastern
post Apr 13 2013, 10:36
Post #3

Member No.: 107644

QUOTE (kritip @ Dec 17 2012, 11:52) *
It personally seems crazy you own one vinyl recording and are setting out too buy a deck. If you inherited a massive archive then I may see a benefit.

It's like me being given a single wax cyliner, 8 track, MD or Reel to Reel, and going out to find a decent player for it, for what is esentially a dying format.

Just curious what you reasoning is behind it, that's all smile.gif Each to their own, and I loved the idea of vinyl when I used too be into it 15 years ago, but just starting out now....I don't get it :S

Vinyl is not dying, far from it. It's the fastest growing audio format in terms of % sales growth (not outright numbers). CD optical discs are dying, and dying at a far greater rate than vinyl LPs (compare the solid decline in total sales for CDs over the past 5 years). So, if you're going to say vinyl LPs are a dying format, at least correct yourself and include CDs in that list (as well as SACD and DVD-A for that matter).

As to the OP, as someone else said, $160 and quality/good don't belong in the same sentence. You will not do justice to the LP format with such a cheap setup.

It is true that to get a comparable performance between LP and CD, you need to spend a lot more money on the vinyl setup than you would on CD. I think many people who criticise the LP format do so because they've never heard a top flight turntable setup, coupled to a very good pressing.

Dave
+Quote Post
julf
post Apr 13 2013, 11:45
Post #4

Member No.: 96426

QUOTE (dpastern @ Apr 13 2013, 11:36) *
Vinyl is not dying, far from it. It's the fastest growing audio format in terms of % sales growth (not outright numbers).

Yes, you can get impressive growth numbers going from "very small" to "still very small". smile.gif

CD optical discs are dying

Yes, they are, but the digital audio formats that used to be delivered on CDs are taking up the slack. Not vinyl.

if you're going to say vinyl LPs are a dying format, at least correct yourself and include CDs in that list (as well as SACD and DVD-A for that matter)

I would definitely agree with that - but it is still no argument to get a player for just one or two records.

It is true that to get a comparable performance between LP and CD, you need to spend a lot more money on the vinyl setup than you would on CD. I think many people who criticise the LP format do so because they've never heard a top flight turntable setup, coupled to a very good pressing.

I think you would be rather hard pressed to get "comparable performance" from vinyl, at least if we are talking about conventional attributes such as distortion and signal-to-noise ratio / dynamic range.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 10:13