IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flac on Car Stereo Head Units?
wantlosslesscara...
post Dec 15 2012, 05:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105187

I have a kenwood excelon 996 and I am able to play FLAC files that are on my Samsung Galaxy S3 over blue tooth to the kenwood unit through the car stereo speakers.

What I want is a head unit that will read flac files right off the USB thumb drive right into the head unit.

I have seen some threads through google searching where people have been trying to do this since 2005. The last thread I saw on google, some one had tried this back in 2009.

Does anyone have any information on FLAC support on any current car audio products other than the "psudeo" way I am doing it now?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
slks
post Dec 27 2012, 04:21
Post #2

Member No.: 29046

Not sure if there's any players like this. I've always just took a cable from my audio player of choice to the line-in on the head unit, and I've been 100% satisfied with that. I suppose your Bluetooth thing works similarly.

The only benefit I can see of doing it all through the head unit is if you've got one of those units that integrates with playback controls on the steering wheel. Otherwise, why not let the head unit follow its original function of receiver+amplifier, and handle anything else (like FLAC decoding) through a dedicated device?

As well-known as FLAC is among digital audio enthusiasts, it's nearly unknown in the realm of car audio. That makes FLAC playback a special requirement that you'll need to make special arrangements for.

This post has been edited by slks: Dec 27 2012, 04:23

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
+Quote Post
marc2003
post Mar 10 2013, 02:13
Post #3

Member No.: 19379

QUOTE (slks @ Dec 27 2012, 03:21) *
I've always just took a cable from my audio player of choice to the line-in on the head unit, and I've been 100% satisfied with that.

this option makes the most sense to me. sansa clip+ & microSDHC card. you can even stick a 64GB microSDXC card in it. i'm not sure if the original firmware can recognise those cards but rockbox does. sorted.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 08:44