Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Opus encoder with "q" setting?
radorn
post Dec 15 2012, 01:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14052

Well, title pretty much says it all.
Is there any such encoder or plans for it?
I was surprised opusenc doesn't have it, since vorbis had it even in the RC releases.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
radorn
post Dec 16 2012, 01:03
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14052

Well, this is just user perception, but I thought the "quality" settings in modern codecs (wether it is audio or video) was an attempt to achieve a certain level of perceptual transparency where the actual bitrate is dependent on the variable complexity of the input without much constraint. Of course this results in a file where bitrate is variable, but from what I can grasp, a bitrate setting within a VBR "constraint" tries to sort of match the given bitrate as average instead of a given level of transparency, which is what I always thought vorbis did... So if you tell it to average to +/-96kbit it will depend on the complexity of the input how much perceptual quality the encoder can squeeze out of that given bitrate averaged, right?

What I always understood as a "q" setting is, in resume, a -more or less accurate- gauge of perceptual transparency, and the encoder is in charge of deciding just how much bitrate it needs to achieve it. but perhaps I was wrong...

This post has been edited by radorn: Dec 16 2012, 01:06
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 13:02