IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A couple of basic AccurateRip questions
BFG
post Nov 25 2012, 21:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

I'll browse the Wiki today in an attempt to answer these questions, but I didn't think it would hurt to post them here in the meantime.

After a false start (where I forgot to deselect "delete leading and trailing silent blocks"), I am now merrily archiving my CD collection using EAC and FLAC. I've come up with a few questions during the project:

1. Are pregap tracks aka "Track Zeroes" stored in the AccurateRip DB? If so, are they stored as part of Track 1?
2. I'm trying to decide how to handle tracks which have hidden second songs (typically at the end of the album). It appears AccurateRip assumes both songs will be ripped as a single track. But for archiving purposes, is there any reason not to split these tracks apart, provided I don't delete any of the intermediate silence?
3. I'm used to seeing albums that aren't present in the AccurateRip DB or that are "different pressings/versions" of an album. But I had one strange situation come up. I don't remember the album, but it had 11 tracks. Tracks 1-8 and 10-11 matched the DB. But track 9 - which EAC reported at 100.0% quality (i.e. no sectors were reread), didn't match the DB. What could cause this?
4. My CD reader has a +6 offset and no ability to overread either direction. I assume this means I'm losing 6 samples - or 0.136 milliseconds - on one end of the track. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Jan S.: Nov 26 2012, 20:16
Reason for edit: fixed title
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Porcus
post Nov 26 2012, 01:36
Post #2

Member No.: 38207

1: No.
2: Then you need to join them (perfectly!) if you wish to be able to retro-check against AccurateRip later.
3. You don't say anything about the number. The submitted could be wrong.
4. No lengths will change, but everything will be moved 6 samples to get it aligned to the “0” reference. But nothing says that “0” (or was it thirty it should have been) is in line with the offset used in the mastering process. So in reality, it is moved an unknown number of samples. Nothing you can do about it, nothing you need to do about it (unless you feel like making a fix in those cases where track boundaries are audibly off).

This post has been edited by Porcus: Nov 26 2012, 01:42

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post
BFG
post Nov 26 2012, 01:42
Post #3

Member No.: 101637

QUOTE (Porcus @ Nov 25 2012, 18:36) *

Thanks for replying. To answer your question, AR's confidence was 6 on that track.

This post has been edited by BFG: Nov 26 2012, 01:42
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Nov 26 2012, 08:17
Post #4

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (BFG @ Nov 26 2012, 01:42) *
QUOTE (Porcus @ Nov 25 2012, 18:36) *

Thanks for replying. To answer your question, AR's confidence was 6 on that track.

And that is the same as on the other tracks? (If not, there could be manufactoring errors that lead different players to read different numbers.)

I would make the guess that you have a CD drive which does not support the so-called C2 error pointers?

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 17:27