IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Replay Gain: Album Gain vs. Track Gain
pbelkner
post Nov 25 2012, 17:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81467

Given a Replay Gain tagged file, at playback time there's usually the choice between applying the album gain or the track gain. Both have their pros and cons but in general neither strategy seems to be perfect.

If we consider album gain as the "natural strategy" because it preserves the loudness difference between an album's individual tracks we may consider track gain as some kind of "deviation" from the "natural strategy" aiming to correct some flaws of the "natural strategy".

Viewed this way the question rises why there shouldn't be a measure allowing us to control the "deviation" in a smooth way from 0% (album gain) to 100% (track gain)? The latest version with the FFSoX Player plugin for WA implements the idea:

What do you think about it? Do you find it useful?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
skamp
post Nov 25 2012, 17:28
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 13875

That's a solution to a problem that I don't know exists. Album gain = preserve the integrity of an album; makes sense when listening to albums. Track gain: make everything sound as loud; makes sense when shuffling (or picking single tracks from various albums). What other playback modes are there that would benefit from your solution?

This post has been edited by skamp: Nov 25 2012, 17:29

--------------------
See my profile for measurements, tools and recommendations.
+Quote Post
pbelkner
post Nov 25 2012, 17:38
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 81467

QUOTE (skamp @ Nov 25 2012, 17:28) *
That's a solution to a problem that I don't know exists.

That may be true for you, but for sure not for me.

Album gain = preserve the integrity of an album; makes sense when listening to albums.

Agreed. That's why I call it the "natural strategy".

Track gain: make everything sound as loud; makes sense when shuffling (or picking single tracks from various albums).

Not agreed. The goal is not to have everything as loud as possible but to have everything appearing as equal loud, and that's the crux.

What other playback modes are there that would benefit from your solution?

I had the idea last week and implemented it immediately. Having listened for some days to a shuffle with strategy "50%", I have the impression that it improves dramatically the strategy "track" == "100%".
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 06:51