IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Replay Gain: Album Gain vs. Track Gain
pbelkner
post Nov 25 2012, 17:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81467

Given a Replay Gain tagged file, at playback time there's usually the choice between applying the album gain or the track gain. Both have their pros and cons but in general neither strategy seems to be perfect.

If we consider album gain as the "natural strategy" because it preserves the loudness difference between an album's individual tracks we may consider track gain as some kind of "deviation" from the "natural strategy" aiming to correct some flaws of the "natural strategy".

Viewed this way the question rises why there shouldn't be a measure allowing us to control the "deviation" in a smooth way from 0% (album gain) to 100% (track gain)? The latest version with the FFSoX Player plugin for WA implements the idea:

What do you think about it? Do you find it useful?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
greynol
post Nov 25 2012, 17:45
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

I think it's a good idea, thought I think there are too many choices. 25%, 50% and 75% should be adequate, 20% steps will definitely be adequate.

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
pbelkner
post Nov 25 2012, 17:50
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 81467

QUOTE (greynol @ Nov 25 2012, 17:45) *
I think it's a good idea, thought I think there are too many choices. 25%, 50% and 75% should be adequate, 20% steps will definitely be adequate.

I think a more appropriate GUI control would have been a slider. Having a drop down box was the easiest way to have an implementation without modifying the existing GUI (the drop down box was already there).
+Quote Post
greynol
post Nov 25 2012, 17:56
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (pbelkner @ Nov 25 2012, 08:50) *
I think a more appropriate GUI control would have been a slider. Having a drop down box was the easiest way to have an implementation without modifying the existing GUI (the drop down box was already there).

I would still limit the number of steps on the slider. I don't believe such resolution is useful, let alone warranted. If people are going to use the function in a conversion process a non-detented slider can be problematic. They may adjust the slider between conversions and not remember where they had it previously set.

This post has been edited by greynol: Nov 25 2012, 18:10

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 14:13