Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MiniDisc: Optical to Optical ?
Xrcr9709
post Nov 25 2012, 14:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I have sond MiniDiscs that I would like to archive in .wav fies (or .flac, whatever).
My soundcard is Asus Xonar Essence SXT witch includ of TOSLINK input with a SPDIF adapter.
If I manage to get a MiniDisc with optical output ...

Basically, I just need to connect output to input and then hit record in some software ? (Audacity, Sound Forge) as I would do with any analog recording but the recording will be digital ?
Or does it work another way ?

Thank you for informations.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Xrcr9709
post Nov 25 2012, 22:12
Post #2

Member No.: 70735

What I'm not sure to understand:
- If the sound on the disc is ATRAC (which I wasn't aware of), if I record if analogically or numerically, both method will start with ATRAC conversion anyway ?

This:
If you buy a portable Hi-MD minidisc recorder, you can use the USB connection to transfer the songs from your Minidiscs into Sonicstage (Sony's software). From Sonicstage you can export the songs as WAV. This process is so much quicker and free of SCMS hassles.

looks like what I've always dreamed of when I was frequently MDs.
I'll see ifI can find a functional Hi-MD with adaptor and software.
+Quote Post
Michaja
post Nov 26 2012, 16:39
Post #3

Member No.: 104780

QUOTE (Xrcr9709 @ Nov 25 2012, 22:12) *
If you buy a portable Hi-MD minidisc recorder, you can use the USB connection to transfer the songs from your Minidiscs into Sonicstage (Sony's software). From Sonicstage you can export the songs as WAV. This process is so much quicker and free of SCMS hassles.

looks like what I've always dreamed of when I was frequently MDs.
I'll see ifI can find a functional Hi-MD with adaptor and software.

I'm not sure this works. Sonicstage was a DRM monster when I used to use minidiscs. You could only "import" those tracks you "exported" from the very same computer, making the whole process utterly useless for home recordings. If I remember correct, you couldn't even delete tracks on the (Sony) player, that where "exported" from a computer. But this may have changed with newer versions of the software. I suggest you find out before buying anything.
I used to import recorded minidiscs using a Yamaha MD deck and a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, connected via TOSLINK. It worked fairly well, except you don't get any track information, so you have to cut your tracks manually. I never had trouble with the copy protect bit, but I used only first generation recordings.

This post has been edited by Michaja: Nov 26 2012, 16:39
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 13:08