IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Need tips for converting ANALOG to Lossless
BFG
post Nov 18 2012, 23:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

Right now, I'm converting my entire CD collection to FLAC for archiving. But I also have some records, cassette tapes and (gasp) 8-tracks to "archive" as well.

I'd like some tips on the best hardware to use for the initial analog to digital conversion (presumably to WAV), as well as best practices for noise reduction without compromising the signal. I'd also like to hear thoughts on when/if it's appropriate to upconvert to stereo.
I haven't checked the Wiki for these topics yet, but will soon.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
stephan_g
post Nov 26 2012, 12:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 81240

Don't be surprised if the platter is wobbly, the tonearm bearings have plenty of play, antiskating is just about absent and tracking force is more or less random. (You should already be getting an MM cantridge of some sort at least. If it's a ceramic as still found in cheapies, I wouldn't even let it near any irreplaceable records.) For something that is usable at least, you'll have to drop about as much as a Dual DTJ301 or similar will cost you, and we're still not talking good at this point. (A "plastic fantastic" Technics of yesteryear is likely to be better than that.) No, cheap turntables aren't fun.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th December 2014 - 07:35