IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Need tips for converting ANALOG to Lossless
BFG
post Nov 18 2012, 23:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

Right now, I'm converting my entire CD collection to FLAC for archiving. But I also have some records, cassette tapes and (gasp) 8-tracks to "archive" as well.

I'd like some tips on the best hardware to use for the initial analog to digital conversion (presumably to WAV), as well as best practices for noise reduction without compromising the signal. I'd also like to hear thoughts on when/if it's appropriate to upconvert to stereo.
I haven't checked the Wiki for these topics yet, but will soon.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Engelsstaub
post Nov 18 2012, 23:33
Post #2

Member No.: 78200

If you're still playing cassettes and 8-tracks and have a decent computer then you probably have most of the equipment you would really "need" to digitize them.

Why in the world would you want to digitize 8-tracks and cassettes though? I get needledrops (which is sometimes enough of a pain...) but 8-tracks? They are arguably the worst analog format ever introduced. Cassettes aren't too far behind, IMO. If they are not rare and irreplaceable I'd just replace them with used CDs from Amazon. Put them in a box and pass them on later or something. That's a lot of work for the inevitably shitty results you're going to get.

I use iZotope RX Advanced for working on needledrops, but that software is expensive. Like over a thousand USD-expensive. You can get similar professional results with Adobe Audition for about $350.

...but anyway: a decent sound card and a good turntable (assuming the stylus is in good shape) should be all you need other than capable software. If you really feel you must digitize cassettes and 8-tracks, then just use the hardware you already have. I personally doubt you'll be any happier with the results if you hunted down "better" playback gear for those formats.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
+Quote Post
BFG
post Nov 19 2012, 03:02
Post #3

Member No.: 101637

QUOTE (Engelsstaub @ Nov 18 2012, 16:33) *
Stuff

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely NOT interested in dropping $1000 (or even $350) into this project...but I did find a $50 analog->digital turntable+cassette player the other day; I'll give that a try and see what happens. It won't cover the 8 tracks but oh well.

In all honesty, I'm doing this because (1) there are a few albums which (as far as I'm aware) you can't get on CD, and (2) I promised my grandma in the nursing home that I would biggrin.gif

EDIT: (in anticipation of future comments) Yes, I am aware that there's really no such thing as Lossless Analog.

This post has been edited by BFG: Nov 19 2012, 03:03
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 13:02