IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

tag 'script' to print out DISC 1, DISC 2.. etc
diypig
post Nov 17 2012, 16:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 51013

hi, i had a look through the wiki at conditional tagging, and i tried looking on google, but i'm still stuck.
i make a lot of use out of foobar's 'file operations' menu, i use the 'move to' option, and use it to organize my music into folders that makes everything more managable.

at the moment i have something like this:

CODE
%album artist%/%album%[ '('%date%')']/%tracknumber% - %title%

i'm not sure why the date in enclosed in the square brackets, but it has been like that for months and it works smile.gif
could anyone explain what the square brackets do?

i have a problem when i come across a release with multiple disks, it wants to put all of the tracks in the one release directory.

i want something like this:

album artist
-album (date)
--DISC 1
---01 - etc etc etc.flac
---02 - etc etc etc.flac
--DISC 2
---01 - etc etc etc.flac
---02 - etc etc etc.flac

i was hoping that someone could help me with the syntax/code to make this possible smile.gif
is it possible to ignore the disc folder if there is only 1 disc? as in, if the disk total tag, or whatever it is called, is 1, or empty, then to simply ignore making the disc subfolders?

thank you very much for this, i appreciate it!

p.s. also, what is the difference between using $meta(something..) and %something%? are they interchangeable?
thanks again smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
diypig
post Nov 18 2012, 10:38
Post #2

Member No.: 51013

thank you again smile.gif

so you are saying, that tag script is not 'perfect' in the sense that it will make disc subfolders even if there is only 1 disk (but only if the tags for those tracks are tagged as discnumber = 1 and totaldiscs = 1), sure i understand that.
I will make sure that i only apply those tags to multi disc releases.
but, i nice way would be to make something that checks if there is only one TOTAL disc, and to ignore making subfolders if this is the case.
is that possible? i will have a go smile.gif (i am fine with c++ and java, but aha this is not the same!)

is it 'recommended' to leave some tags blank? so, where there is only one disc in a release, to leave the disc number and total disc number blank?
or, is it recommended to put 1 in both? at the moment i am just leaving them blank.

i have rockbox installed on my iPod, so, it is very customizable.
and sure i retag and double check everything i rip/acquire, it takes so much time but soon it will be over!
this disc subfolder thing was one of the things i had to do 'manually' but not anymore, thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
Daeron
post Nov 18 2012, 11:36
Post #3

Member No.: 59818

QUOTE (joshuatm @ Nov 18 2012, 03:38) *
so you are saying, that tag script is not 'perfect' in the sense that it will make disc subfolders even if there is only 1 disk (but only if the tags for those tracks are tagged as discnumber = 1 and totaldiscs = 1), sure i understand that..

As long as TOTALDISC is defined (be that 1 even), you can always decide whether a subfolder should be created. The problem only rises when you have DISCNUMBER=1 but TOTALDISC is missing. Since each file is evaluated seperately, the script doesn't 'see' whether a Disc 2 exist while evaluating a file from Disc 1, unless that specifically 'says so'. It could lie even, doesn't matter.

My method basically says if DISCNUMBER is filled at all, there should be multiple Discs, so create a subfolder. But it is also possible to write a script that only creates a subfolder when TOTALDISC is greater than 1 (and exists).

QUOTE (joshuatm @ Nov 18 2012, 03:38) *
is it 'recommended' to leave some tags blank? so, where there is only one disc in a release, to leave the disc number and total disc number blank?
or, is it recommended to put 1 in both? at the moment i am just leaving them blank.

Probably not, but I don't know which standard is the most widely accepted (since I don't even use DISC tags). If you were already using DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISC in whatever form, you should probably stick to that. What I suggested (only fill DISCNUMBER for multiple discs, don't use TOTALDISC at all) is just the simplest/laziest method (since you only have to fill a single tag when necessary and you can mass-wipe out everything else) that still works.

Using TOTALDISC gives you more information, but is also a hassle to tag all the files with it manually and isn't that necessary unless you make use of it (which goes as far as: 'Disc 1 of 2').

This post has been edited by Daeron: Nov 18 2012, 12:23
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th December 2014 - 18:13