IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5.1 24-bit audio ripped as stereo, loss of information ripping 5.1 24-bit as stereo 24-bit
akas
post Nov 16 2012, 21:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104495

Hey,

New to the whole audiophile world and I'm sure this topic has been discussed previously, albeit, I cannot find where. I have a DualDisc that I am attempting to rip using DVD Audio Extractor. There are two audio tracks on the DVD. One is 82.2 kHz, 24-bit, 6 channel and the other is 82.2 kHz, 16-bit, 2 channel. I am ripping to WAV and am only concerned about stereo. Ideally I would like to have the higher bit rate (24-bit) from surround title. Therefore the question is, what information am I losing if I rip the 82.2 kHz, 24-bit, 6 channel title to 82.2 kHz, 24-bit, stereo?

Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
yourlord
post Nov 16 2012, 22:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 88621

If you rip the 6.1 to stereo then all the discreet channels should mix down to the 2 discreet stereo channels. What you will lose is spatial information. If the track is provided as a 16 bit stereo track then the question you need to ask is who does a better job of mixing the channels, your ripping software or the mastering engineer who already did it for you.

As to the question of if you need the 24-bit resolution over 16 bit, unless you're going to be doing further mixing and mastering using that track the answer is no. The only thing you gain with 24-bit resolution is a bloated file size with no audible difference.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 00:06