IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Google Play Music streaming specs?, Anyone know the streaming specs for the Andoid app?
zipr
post Nov 13 2012, 18:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24445

I use Google Play Music to stream on my Android phone when I'm in the car. It works pretty well most of the time, but in areas with a weak signal, it often drops out and stutters.

I know that when you upload music, Google transcodes AAC and FLAC into 320kbps mp3:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/a...;answer=1100462

My first questions is: when it streams to the app, which format/bitrate are they streamed in? My guess would be mp3, but I can't find any confirmation of this.

A second question: if it is mp3, would streaming in a different codec that performs better at a lower bitrate result in a better experience (fewer dropouts)?

And a third: are there any other similar streaming services that do stream your library in a codec optimized for mobile?

(2nd and 3rd questions depend on the answer to the first, of course.)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DonP
post Nov 13 2012, 19:08
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 4955

QUOTE (zipr @ Nov 13 2012, 13:43) *
A second question: if it is mp3, would streaming in a different codec that performs better at a lower bitrate result in a better experience (fewer dropouts)?

And a third: are there any other similar streaming services that do stream your library in a codec optimized for mobile?

(2nd and 3rd questions depend on the answer to the first, of course.)

As far as I know, vorbis gets translated as well.

There is a setting somewhere to always stream at maximum possible rate, so that at least hints that the default is something less. It would be nice if you could specify, for example, to use lower rate for phone data or phone data via hotspot (ie capped and/or metered usage) and higher rate on cheap wifi connections.

I ended up loading most everything up at lame v5, figuring that it would then stream back at that same rate.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 09:00