IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sample rates and resampling questions
androdion
post Nov 10 2012, 14:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104434

Hi. I have a few questions which involve sample rates and resampling. I have a Xonar Essence STX as a sound card on my PC and I've been trying to learn a few more things about the best possible settings on its control panel. With that being said some doubts and questions have arisen, and the Internet is not being exactly friendly in my pursuit for a direct answer.

So my main question right now is if putting the sample rate on the Xonar control panel to 192Khz will make it resample any signal lower than that to 192Khz, or, if by putting the sample rate defined as 192Khz if it will reproduce every sound within that spectrum without resampling it.

For instance, I know that CD audio is 44Khz. Will it change the sound output in any way if I have the sample rate on the Xonar defined as 192Khz as opposed to 44Khz? This for a 2.1 system playing an audio CD. Does resampling to 192Khz occur in this situation or will the Xonar detect a sample rate within the available spectrum and play it accordingly? This is something that's been bugging me because everyone says that the sample rate on the Xonar should be set accordingly to the source of the sound (CD/DVD/whatever) but no one actually answers this simple question directly. Also, does the Windows 7 sample rate need to be set to any value or does the Xonar control panel override it? Having the option "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" selected means that I don't need to worry about which settings are defined on Windows?

One other thing, I've been reading that on the Mixer tab on the control panel 76% volume is the default for 0dB and that putting it any higher than that will cause a digital gain that could cause distortion. Is this true? Is there any difference between the 75 and 76% settings at all? Because strangely if I put it to 75 it will reset itself to 76, but if I choose a lower value (say 50%) it will be set as that.

And since we're on the Xonar subject I might as well ask. On the FlexBass tab, is there any threshold value to the LFE Crossover Frequency? What I mean is, is there any value here that's "too high" and should only be set up to a certain limit?

Thanks everyone for the patience and please help me out here. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mjb2006
post Nov 11 2012, 07:00
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 30694

Where were you playing the Intermod Tests? I would expect that if you play them in your browser, they'd have issues because they're played through the MME engine, which on Windows 7 requires a patch (click) to avoid a resampling bug.

This post has been edited by mjb2006: Nov 11 2012, 07:02
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 10:08