IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Converting over 1000 files from mp3 to wav; fastest method?
Extorris
post Nov 7 2012, 21:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103524

Hey everyone,

I'm a musician, and I've recently decided to go digital from analog (in terms of playing). I've uploaded a metric crapton of myself playing, and after week, I've noticed that I have been saving them as mp3 instead of wav! Each clip is anywhere from 2 to 15ish seconds, and I was wondering if there's a semi-fast way to convert them all? I would like to drag-and-drop, but from the looks of it, I might be spending the next 2-3 days converting each file individually.

I kept hearing about this forum and how smart all of you are tongue.gif, so I figured I'd try here before I get carpel tunnel.

Thanks a ton in advanced if any of you have suggestions on what programs to use. (I'm using a PC and my budget is $100-$200).
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
smok3
post Nov 8 2012, 09:10
Post #2

A/V Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1922

If you have 1000 clips with say 10s length, then that is less that 3 hours of material. Random album (1 hour) converts in 15 seconds (on my machine, using ffmpeg as decoder), so your conversion should not take more than 45 seconds.... , no need to invent any parallel workflow.

This post has been edited by smok3: Nov 8 2012, 09:22

--------------------
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung
+Quote Post
Nessuno
post Nov 8 2012, 15:31
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 86562

QUOTE (smok3 @ Nov 8 2012, 10:10) *
If you have 1000 clips with say 10s length, then that is less that 3 hours of material. Random album (1 hour) converts in 15 seconds (on my machine, using ffmpeg as decoder), so your conversion should not take more than 45 seconds.... , no need to invent any parallel workflow.

Maybe a little more, to take into account 1000 iterations of an open > read > create > write > close loop.
All the more in this case I expect the decoding job to stay idle most of the time, waiting for I/Os to complete and a parallel workflow might actually worsen performances.

--------------------
... I live by long distance.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 16:06