IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flac, replay gain and ......
UncleMcFlac
post Nov 1 2012, 13:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104235

Hey , can anyone help me? i use foobar ,and have tons of lossless files, i see the function replay gain but im just learning to use it , heres what ive done to tracks that sound way too low , ive increase the decibels and converted the flac file to flac (click on file > convert to> replay gain > move the preamp together> convert), so when i do that is the process irreversible?
and can someone teach me how to apply replay gain? and explain this thing to me ?
Note: since im a noob , what i do is keep my replay gains between -6db to -9db , there are some track like "one direction - whats makes you beautiful" that are about -12 db(that too darn loud), and the "killer - mr brightside" is that loud too but its not bad because it is rock (rock known for distortion) but the OD song just sound like a hiss fest(the person who produce it should go back to mastering or producing school), also the track i mentioned ive turned them down using the method above but i wanna know if that "technically" degrades the song
dry.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dhromed
post Nov 2 2012, 22:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 51347

There's not much change between the two as far as I can tell. Maybe a dB or two. My experience often disagrees with RG by as much as 10.

Looking up the numbers right now, the Gnarls Barkley album The Odd Couple clocks in with corrections of -7 to a whopping -11 according to RG, but I've adjusted it to -3 across the board.

The relevant Motorpsycho album Trust Us has values of -8 to -10, and one +8 (!). I've adjusted none of it.
Another Motorpsycho album, Let Them Eat Cake, I've always perceived as rather loud, but here RG gives me numbers of -3, -5, -7 and the occasional -8. I've adjusted that to a flat -3 as well.

You can understand why my faith in replaygain is pretty much non-existant. smile.gif I do wonder, however, if my perception of loudness could be accurately predicted by an algorithm. Such a beast might have to combine the equal loudness curve with the dynamic range and try to measure attacks, if that's even possible.

Alternatively, I may just happen to be hypersensitive to the vocal frequency range. Sometimes a loud recorded singing voice cuts into my ears as ruthlessly as a pure sine wave. Is that easily testable?
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Nov 5 2012, 12:27
Post #3

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

QUOTE (dhromed @ Nov 2 2012, 22:43) *
I do wonder, however, if my perception of loudness could be accurately predicted by an algorithm. Such a beast might have to combine the equal loudness curve with the dynamic range and try to measure attacks, if that's even possible.
The original ReplayGain algorithm includes an Equal Loudness curve, EBU R128/ITU 1770-2 just includes a bass shelf. The difference is significant with test tones, but far less so with most music.

QUOTE (smok3 @ Nov 3 2012, 11:36) *
p.s. Another thing that is not really calculated is level of love for a certain song (i guess "better" songs could need a dB or two).
I found that to be a 6 to 9dB effect!

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 12:23