Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: combining 2 multichannel 24/96 wav files (Read 5169 times) previous topic - next topic

combining 2 multichannel 24/96 wav files

Hoping there's a simple tool to join 2 wav files that are 6ch, 24/96 for gapless playback. Thanks for any sage advice.

Reply #1
Hoping there's a simple tool to join 2 wav files that are 6ch, 24/96 for gapless playback. Thanks for any sage advice.

SoX would do it:
Code: [Select]
sox file1.wav file2.wav output.wav

Reply #2
Awesome, thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Reply #3
Got it downloaded, read through it thoroughly, and tried hard to run it from the terminal on a mac but it may be over my head.

tractor:/Applications/sox tractor$ sox 01Shine On.flac 02Welcome.flac 03both.flac

Reply #5
sox is not "simple", but should work.

flac is not wav, so sox will probably require libflac for you to use flac support. also, your command line is probably wrong.  see http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html for the man page, which is valuable reading. maybe read especially about the "--combine" option. you downloaded the precompiled one, right? I mean, that one comes with flac support, according to the README.osx file. you can find it as "sox-14.4.0-macosx.zip" in this directory: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/14.4.0/

in short, try:
sox --combine concatenate 01Shine\ On.flac 02Welcome.flac 03both.flac
OR:
sox --combine merge 01Shine\ On.flac 02Welcome.flac 03both.flac

yes, I added the '\', and yes, it is important.

Reply #6
Thank you...pretty obvious I'm a newbie to command line moves. Kind of hitting the wall regarding why I still have my user name at the end of my command line, so I'll be looking into that. Assuming I'm ok by cd'ing to my sox directory, then running the command with files also inside that directory.

Thanks, definitely scoured/scouring the sourceforge.net page + definitely DL'd the version you mention (14.4.0). Also assuming the osx version doesn't care that I'm running Tiger on a PPC since it's a command line tool.

I've converted the flacs to wav and output as wav, but no go:

tractor:/Applications/sox tractor$ sox --combine concatenate 01ShineOn.wav 02Welcome.wav 03both.wav
-bash: sox: command not found
tractor:/Applications/sox tractor$ ./sox --combine concatenate 01ShineOn.wav 02Welcome.wav 03both.wav
-bash: ./sox: cannot execute binary file

Reply #7
Also assuming the osx version doesn't care that I'm running Tiger on a PPC since it's a command line tool.
-bash: ./sox: cannot execute binary file

This may actually be the problem, if the MacOS distribution is compiled for Intel only (which I don’t know, I never use a Mac). You should be able to find out by running
Code: [Select]
file ./sox
This will tell you if it is a universal binary or compiled for PowerPC or Intel only.

Reply #8
Thank you. Mach-O executable i386! (which if I'm right is good news!)