IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Amp for small studio
tarkovsky
post Oct 27 2012, 03:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104112

I own a really small studio at 270 square feet (~15 feet X 18 feet). I'm putting a sound system in and my main question is about the amp. We of course have neighbors all around us. I want it to sound good. I like nice lows when I listen to music, and during movies it would be nice to hear the voices clearly. It obviously doesn't need to be too powerful.

I was wondering, about what level of rms amperage should i be looking at? Also, I am partial to Yamaha amps, anyone recommend one that may suit my needs? My wife also likes/wants karaoke, but maybe that will we'll accomplish using another device, some blue ray players have that option i've seen. Just in the dark on that as i have never set up karaoke before.

Thanks!!

This post has been edited by tarkovsky: Oct 27 2012, 03:40
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tarkovsky
post Nov 3 2012, 01:47
Post #2

I actually also wanted to mention I have looked already. I found a yamaha booth at the mall. I live in bangkok so equipment isn't as easy to come by as in the states. On speakers I was not so impressed. But i found a receiver, rx v373 that looked in m y price range. im readng reviews on it practically as i type. any thoughts. based on the info gathered here, i may just take that receiver and start looking for nice speakers.... or find the speakers first and keep that receiver in mind.

hopefully i can find some infinity speakers to listen to.

This post has been edited by tarkovsky: Nov 3 2012, 01:49
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Nov 4 2012, 17:31
Post #3

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (tarkovsky @ Nov 2 2012, 19:47) *
I did a lot of online digging, and I think i may have found a place that sells the Inifnity Primus p162 bookshelf speakers here in Bangkok. I take it the 162's are very close to the 163's.

There has been a series of basically the same speaker: 160, 161. 162, 163. The differences among them are IME subtle.

I actually also wanted to mention I have looked already. I found a yamaha booth at the mall. I live in bangkok so equipment isn't as easy to come by as in the states. On speakers I was not so impressed. But i found a receiver, rx v373 that looked in m y price range. im readng reviews on it practically as i type. any thoughts.

I bought a RX V371 on close out a few months back. We continue to do well together. I use it as a 2.1 device. The RX V373 appears to be very similar with some additional features including YPAO automated room optimization software.

based on the info gathered here, i may just take that receiver and start looking for nice speakers.... or find the speakers first and keep that receiver in mind.

I tend to play down the benefits of going around and listening to speakers because the room they are used in and how they are installed can make dramatic changes in how they sound. I did quite a bit of work with the built-in 8 band equalizers on my RX V371 to address that situation.
+Quote Post
tarkovsky
post Nov 8 2012, 11:39
Post #4

QUOTE (Arnold B. Krueger @ Nov 4 2012, 17:31) *
QUOTE (tarkovsky @ Nov 2 2012, 19:47) *
I did a lot of online digging, and I think i may have found a place that sells the Inifnity Primus p162 bookshelf speakers here in Bangkok. I take it the 162's are very close to the 163's.

There has been a series of basically the same speaker: 160, 161. 162, 163. The differences among them are IME subtle.

I actually also wanted to mention I have looked already. I found a yamaha booth at the mall. I live in bangkok so equipment isn't as easy to come by as in the states. On speakers I was not so impressed. But i found a receiver, rx v373 that looked in m y price range. im readng reviews on it practically as i type. any thoughts.

I bought a RX V371 on close out a few months back. We continue to do well together. I use it as a 2.1 device. The RX V373 appears to be very similar with some additional features including YPAO automated room optimization software.

based on the info gathered here, i may just take that receiver and start looking for nice speakers.... or find the speakers first and keep that receiver in mind.

I tend to play down the benefits of going around and listening to speakers because the room they are used in and how they are installed can make dramatic changes in how they sound. I did quite a bit of work with the built-in 8 band equalizers on my RX V371 to address that situation.

Thanks again for all the help. I truly appreciate it. I will update the thread when I buy, which will probably be a while as I am already spending a lot on furniture at the moment.... but the sound system is destined to come smile.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 20:13