IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Problem installing WavPack Plugin Nero 12 Windows 7, official instructions are for earlier Nero or not applicable to Win7
Fleegle
post Oct 12 2012, 21:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103818

I want to convert WavPack to MP3 so that I can play them in iTunes and on iPod.

I downloaded Nero 12 trial, intending to buy when I can get this to work. I downloaded "Plugin for Ahead Nero Burning Rom" from WavPack.com. The instructions say to copy nxWavPack.dll to \program files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins. Obviously applies to earlier Windows version.

So I translated that into Win7 to mean put the DLL \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\... because there's a folder there and AFAIK Nero does not use the Ahead name anymore. Problem: there is no AudioPlugins folder. I created a folder with that name and put the DLL in it, but it had no effect.

I'm guessing the official instructions at WavPack.com apply to earlier versions of Nero and earlier versions of Windows. I've Google searched for an hour figuring that for sure somebody else has the same problem--and an answer--but found nothing. I searched Hydrogen Audio for a solution and found nothing.

In theory I should be able to get Nero 12 (Nero Recode) to import WavPack files and transcode them into any format supported by Nero. Can anybody please tell me how?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Fleegle
post Oct 15 2012, 15:13
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 103818

I should have mentioned that I tried to get Nero to recognize the cue sheet and it would have nothing to do with it. Perhaps I'll embed the cuesheet into the wv and give that a try but I suspect that has little chance of success.

From your comments I presume you are the developer or one of the developers of WavPack. I suggest that adding file spltting/combining to the Win32 command line tools would be a nice enhancement and would allow the tools to be used independently of larger software packages. They are nice because they have such a small footprint. Speaking as a software engineer it doesn't seem to me that the additional functionality to process multiple input files into a WavPack wv file with embedded cuesheet, or process a WavPack file with embedded cue sheet to multiple output files, would be that much work. For people like me that would provide the minimal solution to get material in and out of WavPacks without any other software. It would be a nice feature.

I think I'll go investigate some other tools, and also consider kicking Nero 12 to the curb. I'm not sure I even need Nero 9 but I'm certain I have the install files on one of my NAS servers, which unfortunately all my network gear is in storage and the boxes are about 6-7 feet deep and close packed.

It seems to me that Nero 12 is more bloaty than ever, more dumbed down for people who don't know what they're doing, and gimmicked up with a bunch of useless features that most people would never use, just to serve the purpose of getting more people to buy the product by dazzling them with all the bells and whistles.

I have tried to start topics at Nero's forums several times but my posts never show up. BTW I worked on a forum open source project for several months writing code, so I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to posting on forums. Right now I'm trying to decide which of these three is the worst forum implementation I've ever seen: WordPress (they hacked up WP to make it operate like a forum rather than getting vB or IP.Board), eBay (looks home made by people who had never been on a forum) or Nero (also looks like written by people who have never been on a forum).

Next job for me today: find lowest impact tool and process that will let me rip my WavPack and cuesheet into separate, tagged files. Perhaps one day in the future I'll look at switching to a lossless player.

--------

It's a bit off topic here but it looks like this topic is going to go no further anyway. I don't quite understand any benefit of lossless to me. Some years ago I ripped all my CD music collection to .wav and .mp3 files, using a computer I dedicated to audio and entertainment, and situated the computer next to my stereo. I put away my CD collection to a safe place. From then on I played the .wav versions of albums when at home, and listened to .mp3 while mobile.

At the time it was my understanding that the 44.1 kHz stereo 16 bit .wav files had all the same information as was written on the CD. I had never heard lossless mentioned at the time so I presume that is a recent invention (I converted my files about 10-15 years ago).

My ears aren't that great anymore and my stereo isn't top of the line anymore either, so I don't understand any benefit going to lossless. Also, I've presumed that my sound card D:A was the largest error source in the chain from .wav files to speakers, and I'm not aware of any great improvements in that area.

Once my stuff comes out of storage (which will be after I've purchased a new house) I'll be very interested in upgrading my system. I would like to get one of those micro PCs to sit next to the stereo and interface the network to the audio, and then my media files can reside on a network server on my LAN, and I'll control the whole thing from a tablet or iPad. (I've just in the last few weeks felt a strong desire to buy an iPad...)

So do you have any tips for me or any suggestions on where to go to read more? I'm sure plenty of people have done exactly or similar to what I'm thinking of doing. I will be better off if I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Oct 15 2012, 15:56
Post #3

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

QUOTE (Fleegle @ Oct 15 2012, 18:13) *
I suggest that adding file spltting/combining to the Win32 command line tools would be a nice enhancement and would allow the tools to be used independently of larger software packages. They are nice because they have such a small footprint.

But why did you install Nero if you prefer small programs? blink.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 03:17