IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Tab for sorting by date added & Custom Library Folder structure
pietz
post Oct 9 2012, 07:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103728

good morning,

im currently trying to find a program to replace Songbird 1.9, which is kinda outdated but featured a few things that arent possible in the latest version. on the way i tried Helium Music Manager, which was pretty good at first but then messed up quite a few things. so now i want to try the most functional program were you can control everything manually and foobar sounded like the way to go.

Im looking for two things in foobar that i cant hep to find. i did search the forum and google for answers, but the answers in other threads dont lead me anywhere, so here i go and ask myself:

1. How can i add a Tab (like Artist/Title/Album/Duration) to the library that sorts my music by the date i added them to the library. this is something really basic and i believe many people want to arrange their music here and then, so they see their last added tracks on top. i read a few threads about "%added" and "date_added%", so i right-clicked the tab bar->columns->more and then created a custom column with the name: "Date Added" and the pattern: %added% (also tried %date_added%). this doesnt work and only gives me questionmarks in the specific column. another thread answer said something about going to library->search and then a few other steps, but i cant even click the "Search" button, since its grayed out.

2. the second big thing is the reason i stayed with songbird 1.9. i listen to a lot of electronic music and one day noticed that "Albums" are really irrelevant to me. thats why i like to keep my music library folder in a different structure: Library/Artist/Title.mp3. i did read something about "file operations" but maybe because im new to foobar, i just couldnt understand it. i want all the music that i add by hand to foobar to move to my library with my own folder structure. any solutions for this?

and if someone has a link for a guide to change the ui elements it would be highly appreciated too. once im used to how foobar works it might be great, but right now it comes with a lot of questions...

big thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Daeron
post Oct 11 2012, 01:48
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 59818

Just to avoid possible confusion (my random made-up terms):

Library = all of your watched folders
  Storage folder = one of the watched folders which is organized (serving as your music collection)
  Junk folder = one of the watched folders which is unorganized (a downloads folder or your 'Music In' in this case)

I assume you are trying to drag & drop additional files to your Autoplaylist, which doesn't make any sense considering its design. It is an automatically generated list from the contents of your Library based on a criteria, you aren't supposed to add anything manually. For that reason you have the regular playlists which can be modified in any way and are not limited to your Library.

As for the workflow, you have two options. The simplest is dumping the files you want to move manually into a regular playlist just so you can select and add them to your Storage folder via File Operations (then most likely deleting the playlist as it serves no purpose anymore).

The other (which I assume you are trying to do) is taking this one step further: replacing the regular playlist with an Autoplaylist that will automatically list the contents of a Junk folder. I personally wouldn't say this makes a whole lot of a difference as you just replaced the drag & drop part with something else but you still have to select the files and confirm the move command (and no, foobar will never do that without your input). It brings up a small problem however: you have to set up an additonal criteria for your autoplaylists, otherwise the contents of the Junk folder will show up as they were in your Storage folder and vice versa (as they are now both part of your Library). The easiest way to separate them is the fact that they are two different folders.

So for your Storage folder you could set up something like: '%path% HAS \Folder1\ SORT DESCENDING BY %added%'

And your Junk folder (note that you can set up absolute paths too): '%path% HAS E:\Folder2\'

This post has been edited by Daeron: Oct 11 2012, 01:58
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 20:18