IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Tab for sorting by date added & Custom Library Folder structure
pietz
post Oct 9 2012, 07:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103728

good morning,

im currently trying to find a program to replace Songbird 1.9, which is kinda outdated but featured a few things that arent possible in the latest version. on the way i tried Helium Music Manager, which was pretty good at first but then messed up quite a few things. so now i want to try the most functional program were you can control everything manually and foobar sounded like the way to go.

Im looking for two things in foobar that i cant hep to find. i did search the forum and google for answers, but the answers in other threads dont lead me anywhere, so here i go and ask myself:

1. How can i add a Tab (like Artist/Title/Album/Duration) to the library that sorts my music by the date i added them to the library. this is something really basic and i believe many people want to arrange their music here and then, so they see their last added tracks on top. i read a few threads about "%added" and "date_added%", so i right-clicked the tab bar->columns->more and then created a custom column with the name: "Date Added" and the pattern: %added% (also tried %date_added%). this doesnt work and only gives me questionmarks in the specific column. another thread answer said something about going to library->search and then a few other steps, but i cant even click the "Search" button, since its grayed out.

2. the second big thing is the reason i stayed with songbird 1.9. i listen to a lot of electronic music and one day noticed that "Albums" are really irrelevant to me. thats why i like to keep my music library folder in a different structure: Library/Artist/Title.mp3. i did read something about "file operations" but maybe because im new to foobar, i just couldnt understand it. i want all the music that i add by hand to foobar to move to my library with my own folder structure. any solutions for this?

and if someone has a link for a guide to change the ui elements it would be highly appreciated too. once im used to how foobar works it might be great, but right now it comes with a lot of questions...

big thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Daeron
post Oct 9 2012, 08:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 59818

You have to install the 'Playback Statistics' component which provides the '%added%' tags. The search is probably greyed out because you haven't set up a watched folder in 'Preferences/Media Library' yet. Once that is done, you have multiple options to list its contents (via 'Library viewers'). Alternatively you can generate 'autoplaylists' which update their contents automatically based on a criteria (that you can set up via 'Library/Search' for example). You probably want the latter as for now with a pattern such as '%added% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS' or something similar. If you click on the right '...' button you can create the Autoplaylist.

The File Operations (and basically any) component relies on foobar's titleformatting syntax. It will create folders and automatically rename your files based on the pattern you gave. For example '%tag%' will be substituted with the value of the corresponding file(s) TAG field. So '%artist%' equals with the ARTIST of the song, etc. Head to the wiki for more.

This post has been edited by Daeron: Oct 9 2012, 09:00
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 22:34