IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules

Please read foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules before posting and comply with all the points.
Failure to provide all the information pointed out in the above document in your post is considered wasting other people's time and in extreme cases will lead to your topic getting locked without a reply.


See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Foobar shows the back album art instead of front cover
AurorionWing
post Oct 5 2012, 14:02
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 5
Joined: 5-October 12
Member No.: 103648



I use iTunes to attach multiple artworks to each track.
When I play a song in iTunes, windows media player, or select it in windows explorer, the 1st album art (front cover) is shown.
But when I play it on foobar, it shows the back cover.

When I right click -> Tagging -> Manage attached pictures, the only album art is the back cover.

I've found many similar posts about lost album art but none of the solutions in those work. (E.g. deleting the hidden "folder.jpg" files in the folder).

Please help.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 
Start new topic
Replies
BenB
post Oct 5 2012, 18:33
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 778
Joined: 17-April 12
Member No.: 98921



QUOTE (AurorionWing @ Oct 5 2012, 08:02) *
I use iTunes to attach multiple artworks to each track.
When I play a song in iTunes, windows media player, or select it in windows explorer, the 1st album art (front cover) is shown.
But when I play it on foobar, it shows the back cover.

When I right click -> Tagging -> Manage attached pictures, the only album art is the back cover.

I've found many similar posts about lost album art but none of the solutions in those work. (E.g. deleting the hidden "folder.jpg" files in the folder).

Please help.

It appears that foobar will only show one artwork per type: front cover, back cover, disc, icon and artist (at least as far as its artwork tagging capabilities are concerned. Other types are apparently not supported). For this reason, foobar cannot be relied upon to show you all of the embedded artwork in your files. Now, it may be that you added all your artwork under one type and foobar is showing your back covers which have a front cover designation (possibly because they are larger?). I don't know how foobar actually determines which artwork to display (when all artwork of a type is of the same size or if it just picks the first or last it encounters, etc. I didn't test that much.) in this scenario.

To fix this, you'll need to accurately determine what artwork your files contain. WMP and iTunes can and will make use of cached artwork so they may not accurately depict what is present. (WMP may cache other hidden artwork in your folders besides a folder.jpg, and iTunes may cache it in your music folder if I'm remembering correctly).

I would use Mp3tag to view your files. To set the file types of your embedded artwork, open the files in Mp3tag. You'll need the tag panel to be visible. (It can be opened via the menu View > Tag Panel or using Ctrl+Q if it isn't). Now, select the relevant files. In the Tag Panel, you should see artwork at the bottom. If there are multiple pics, there will be small backward and forward arrows below the artwork display which will allow you to cycle through them. To change types, right-click on each pic as you cycle and choose from among the entries under "Set artwork type". The type will be set as soon as you click on the relevant entry and you'll be done. Hopefully this will solve your artwork problem.

There are likely to be tag editors which allow you to change the types of embedded artwork in place, but I cannot tell you which because I only use MP3tag.

I do know that media players such as MusicBee and MediaMonkey allow you to change the types of embedded artwork in place. I cannot remember if Winamp has the ability. I do not recommend using MediaMonkey (unless you make some changes to its configuration file) because it will rewrite your tags using a mixture of id3v2.3 and id3v2.4 tags by default. MusicBee only writes id3v2.3 tags so it'd be the one I'd recommend out of the two.

EDIT:

To be fair, I only tried multiple front covers embedded in a file so I cannot say this is a problem with all types, but I'd be willing to wager that it happens with all types.

This post has been edited by BenB: Oct 5 2012, 19:33
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 14:16