IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

life extension, Electrolytic capacitors
AndyH-ha
post Sep 23 2012, 22:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

Electrolytic capacitors undergo chemical deterioration when there is no charge across them for a long enough period. They can develope other problems too, but they generally continue to function longer if they are in use rather than completely idle. If one has some "vintage" equipment, such as a cassette deck or VHS player that gets called upon for action only infrequently, and upon random occasions, it might be advisable to power it up now and again to keep the electrolytics in better condition.

First question: are there circumstances for which this is not true? Would the shelf life of some equipment be extended by only turning it on when it is really needed?

Assume the equipment cannot be left somewhere where it could be turned on for a little while anytime one happens to think of it. It needs to be stored out of the way, so it must be unpacked and set up, at least minimally, when something is to be done with it. Is there any frequency, based on actual collected data and/or knowledge of the chemistry involved, that is likely to do the job without being more often than really necessary?

In general, for how long should the device be left on to optimally "heal" the capacitors? I have no idea if the process is likely to be finished in seconds or only after several days, although I would guess it probably depends to some extent on how far the deterioration has progressed.

It may be the case, at least for older capacitors that might be past their prime, that bringing up the voltage across them gradually is more likely to lead to success. Is this generally true?

I'm thinking this gradual voltage increase could most easily be accomplished with an SCR type variable light dimmer such as is sold for home use; a mains power cord on its input side and a mains plug for the equipment on its output side. Is there any reason related to the equipment we are trying to preserve that such a setup might not be a good idea?

If it can work, how should it be worked? Is it best to bring up the voltage over a number of seconds or a number of hours?

Are there other considerations I haven't thought about?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- AndyH-ha   life extension   Sep 23 2012, 22:08
- - sthayashi   I had a pretty lengthy answer written up, but in t...   Sep 26 2012, 06:18
- - AndyH-ha   Thanks for the information!   Sep 27 2012, 18:18

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 11:35