IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Pinholes in the metallic layer of a CD no longer contain music, Split from Topic ID #96812 (TOS #5)
Satellite_6
post Sep 4 2012, 02:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 83831

CD's!!!!!!!!!! Obviously the way to go.

--------------------
JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jayess
post Sep 4 2012, 05:44
Post #2

Member No.: 102432

QUOTE (Satellite_6 @ Sep 3 2012, 20:37) *
CD's!!!!!!!!!! Obviously the way to go.

You're absolutely correct, CD's are the way to go, but they aren't the perfect solution either. Most of my collection was bought used and I'm always shopping for new (used) stuff, but it's crazy to see how bad CD's deteriorate. That old stuff from the 80's and 90's, especially the discs with the chrome tops, hold them up to a light source and it's crazy to see how many of them have pinholes, which means there's no longer any music in that hole. And I'm talking about discs that in many cases don't have a scratch on them.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Sep 10 2012, 09:22
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

The poster states that the CDs are bought 2nd hand, and then there could now and then show up a false positive “1”, for the obvious reason. I would certainly be suspicious over a used CD with AR matches of twenty except at one track. (BTDT ... and here I'd say that dBpoweramp is a bit too careless about not invoking secure mode, but that is another discussion.)

I've also seen a CD – Pink Floyd: “Pulse”, where The Great Gig In The Sky (disc #2 track #5) had about half the AR confidence as the other tracks – 80-ish vs 160-ish, IIRC. I can only guess that this indicates a manufactoring error, and I can only guess that it would be hard if not impossible to tell from the CD alone (without an authoritative data source) what is most likely “the right” bit stream.

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 20:07