Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75355

QUOTE (yourlord @ Aug 31 2012, 21:26) *
32-bit support

QUOTE (sshd @ Aug 31 2012, 22:16) *
>2G support

Both of these are important.

I was glad to see that in audio editing/music making software FLAC gained a lot of support in the last couple of years. I'd say right now most support at least importing FLAC.
But 32bit float is used a lot in audio editing, so FLAC could definitely improve there.

EDIT:
Also, I remember reading once that FLAC is too loosely defined (compared to ALAC where the rules are more strict regarding number of channels etc.). Don't know much about that stuff myself, but if it's true it's worth looking into. Hardware/software manufacturers want a reliable standard to work with.
EDIT2: found it

This post has been edited by Brand: Aug 31 2012, 22:31
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
[JAZ]
post Sep 2 2012, 09:35
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2383

@skamp: That is not a clipped 32bit float track. The downconverted to integer (be it 16, 24 or whatever bits) will. And that's the whole point.

All the float talk is about mixing and mastering.
Currently, applications already use some sort of compression for samples (examples include DPCM, zip-like techniques, or even the compression of soundfonts with sfark/sfpack). In fact, FLAC has been proposed or used in some formats.
The ability to use 32bit float in those scenarios allow for more flexibility during the process.

This post has been edited by [JAZ]: Sep 2 2012, 09:36
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 00:43