IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flac ripping
SkidRow
post Aug 31 2012, 03:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101167

Hi, I'm ripping my CD collection using EAC V1.0 beta 3. I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me.

I want rip my CD collection with the best FLAC quality, disk space is not an issue, so:

1. At the moment I'm using this additional command line: -6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Is there anything to improve there?

2. I know FLAC files are much heavier (disk space) than mp3 files, I want to keep FLAC files in my pc so I can listen to my music in the best quality, but also I'd like to save some songs in an ipod or mp3 player. My question is, in this case, I should I rip the CD twice, once using flac compressor, and second time using LAME? Or if I should transcode my FLACS to Mp3? If I should transcode, what would be the best way to get good quality mp3 (in this case disk space is an issue, since they have less capacity).

3. Last question, the cd's that have some data as videos, can they be ripped as well? When I use EAC after the songs there's a part that says "DATA" but when I select it it de-selects itself, is there any way to rip those videos too?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Glenn Gundlach
post Aug 31 2012, 08:49
Post #2

Member No.: 52914

I rip once to WAV and make any changes in WAV. Changes most commonly are level shifts to 'normalize' the level - ALWAYS manual and never 'automatic'. On some old noisy program I may use some noise reduction, sometimes pitch change and on old mono tracks a small amount of reverb can be pleasant fake stereo. Batch convert the files to 320 kB MP3s for the car MP3Tag for the data and then batch to FLAC to save space and discard the WAV files. Prepping a disc typically takes 10-15 minutes but varies.

G
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Aug 31 2012, 09:10
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (Glenn Gundlach @ Aug 31 2012, 09:49) *
I rip once to WAV and make any changes in WAV. Changes most commonly are level shifts to 'normalize' the level - ALWAYS manual and never 'automatic'.

Not good practice. Rip to a lossless format which supports tagging, and use ReplayGain, which non-destructively writes tags to set playback level.

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 05:34