IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audiophile hi-fi market and balanced connections
Brand
post Aug 26 2012, 14:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75355

Even many cheap-ish $100 sound cards have balanced connections.
Yet, for a $4,295 "audiophile" amp, it's somehow normal to have unbalanced analog only. (But hey, you get a "Digital Filter Slope" switch..)

Am I missing something or is this just regular audiofoolery at work?

I was doing some RMAA tests and the cables were very susceptible to outside interference. Place them next to some other (power) cables and you easily see 20dB of extra noise in the measurements.
Sure, it's not really a problem with short cables that you keep away from interference, but for premium/audiophile equipment I'd still expect balanced connections to be the standard by now.

This post has been edited by Brand: Aug 26 2012, 14:39
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dumdidum
post Aug 27 2012, 09:23
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 96595

QUOTE (Brand @ Aug 26 2012, 15:38) *
I was doing some RMAA tests and the cables were very susceptible to outside interference. Place them next to some other (power) cables and you easily see 20dB of extra noise in the measurements.

i haven't done any tests myself but lots of anecdotal evidence says otherwise. better noise rejection of balanced doesn't seem to make a difference for your typical hifi usage scenario.

QUOTE (Brand @ Aug 26 2012, 20:29) *
But I don't see any technical or cost-associated reason for this to be restricted to premium priced models.

i can think of two:

(i) balanced cables do not sound better, they just reject noise better. once again, lots of anecdotal evidence suggests noise rejection by the cables rarely becomes an issue in consumer applications. it's different in pro-audio applications where you may have to run very long cables, you may have to run cables by sources of noise (e.g., fog machines, strobes and other lighting, some other PA equipment, appliances, etc.), you have long chains (where the chance of ground loops is higher). it's not cost-effective to included balanced connectors if they're not needed.

(ii) balanced TRS and balanced XLR are quite uncommon in consumer audio. what good does a consumer amp with balanced inputs if consumer don't have other devices with balanced outputs? inclusion of features that go unused doesn't make sense (well, unless we're serving "check-box" customers that pay a premium for incredibly long feature lists).

This post has been edited by dumdidum: Aug 27 2012, 09:29
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 14:21